Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Monitoring Where Children Are Playing/working

A bit of a strange request really. :(

I work in a school with two reception classes 53+ children and a small outdoor area. :o

We want to develop the area so the children can go out and play in the area unsupervises.... but need ideas of how we monitor who is outside.

I don't believe in having set groupings in Reception... but this can make it difficult to make sure that all children get a turn at activities fairly.

Any ideas on a system that the children would understand and be able to use relatively independently would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance xD

L

Hi Lorna

We have a peg system in our Reception class. On the wall are photographs of different areas inside and outside the classroom i.e. sand tray, graphic area, role-play, climbing area etc. The children each have a small peg (those ones you can get from IKEA with the ladybirds, footballs, etc) with their name on. The children then clip their peg on the photograph that they are going to. Beside each photo, we have a sign explaining how many people are allowed in each area, but the children are also made aware of this from the first day in Reception. If they want to change areas, they just move their peg independently. This system seems to be working well, and we can see at a glance where individuals are working. If it appears that a child has been in the same area for a long period of time, i would gently try to encourage them to do something else.

Hope this helps

Tinyone

:o

Thanks Tinyone

I like that idea... wonder if mine would find it confusing as we also have a peg chart in the classroom for behaviour (whole school thing) that works really well... will run it by the other teacher and see what she thinks.

L

Guest Sycamore

I travelled all the way to Ikea and there were NO PEGS!!!!!!

I think every primary school and Nursery teacher has these and they sold out...so no lovely monitoring tomorrow!

Sycamore

Thats typical sycamore!!

That kind of thing usually happens to me.

The pegs may not be that great after all. I have had about 10 broken this week by the children. They find them hard to manipulate with their small hands. Maybe normal wooden pegs instead if they still exist. you could put a small sticker or something beside their names so that they are easily identifiable even if the children don't recognise their name yet.

Happy hunting anyway

Tinyone

Had a go with just the outside area this week (only readily available photo) - the children loved it, they like pegs!! Although one or two of the younger ones were pegging anything to it, I think I might extend it and hope they soon 'cotton on!'

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)