Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creative Zone Ideas

:o this may seem like a stupid thing to be asking. but i am new to nursery and was a little unsure of the sort of things i should be putting in my creative zone and in my clever fingers zone?? its the start of a new year and it is currently my induction period so i know i have to put things out that are easily accessable. i know i should probably know the answer to this...and when you tell me some ideas they are all probably things i am doing anyway!! but, would still feel better knowing what other people do?!? many thanks x xD

:o this may seem like a stupid thing to be asking. but i am new to nursery and was a little unsure of the sort of things i should be putting in my creative zone and in my clever fingers zone?? its the start of a new year and it is currently my induction period so i know i have to put things out that are easily accessable. i know i should probably know the answer to this...and when you tell me some ideas they are all probably things i am doing anyway!! but, would still feel better knowing what other people do?!? many thanks x xD

we have a box full of junk that the children can use anytime. The other unit is from ikea with about 15 small boxes full of bits from the local scrapstore. lolly sticks, materieal, ribbon, glue, scissors, pens, pencils, crayons, paper etc etc. anything really that can be stuck. this is accessable daily.

angela

Welcome to the forum! In the creative zone you could put some glue sticks and a variety of fabric/wobbly eyes/ribbon/lolly sticks,etc and in the clever fingers zone you could put jigsaws/ tweezers and sequins or cubes/ threading etc . ps I love the zone names!

Hi cupcakeyum! What a fab name - clever fingers zone! There is always something new to share and inspire others, thank you!

We have an old dustbin (used to have a flip lid to add to the thrill of posting stuff in it) for parents to put all kinds of lovelies in - junk boxes, old envelopes and anything else they find.... just throw down the gauntlet in a newsletter and see what you get? The whackier the more the children respond! (Note of caution: I did add a note to the bin and newsletter reminding them that ideally stuff should be 'nut-free' in case of allergies.... ) The scrap store is an amazing resource for very little outlay. A google search should take you to one near you.

Let us know how you get on!

Some one somewhere put some photos of learning areas on the site that show a workshop area that may help too. However I have tried in vain to find the link using the search facility and have given up in the hope that someone more able will come along to help.

Hi, I have a similar problem. We have a creative area with a big box full of junk and a drawer unit containing brushes, rollers, stencils, paper, scissors, collage materials etc. Every day we put something out on the table for the children to use. If the children don't want to use what's out they can get whatever they want from the drawers. If they think of something else they just come and ask. We had an evaluation done in July and we were asked to think of more open ended activities. Any ideas of open ended activities? Cupcakeyum perhaps you could put a washing line in your clever fingers zone as children love pegging things up. You could give them laminated numbers, letters, shapes, colours etc. Its a great way of developing those little fingers and children can be encourages to think about ordering numbers and making patterns at the same time. Hope this is of some help. Good Luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)