Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Prolie Software (data)

I am on top of everything else - It clearly states it is an admin task but only I appear to have noticed this! Nevertheless I am having to do it all - I am not happy, so depress me a bit more and let me know that you are not all having to do the same, please?

I'm not doing it - point blank if they ask I say no.

Only got a few weeks left at work anyhow - and I feel like being a bit stubborn. :o

I am really fed up now - been given today a 27 A4 page booklet to complete for next year (One per child). As it has been decided that we will not use the profile booklets but devise our own. 27 flippin pages per child, I ask you, do they really think we have nothing better to do. I wouldn't mind, yes I would, but the profile booklet can be condensed into 4 x A4 sheets, and they give us 27.

Hi Makesensetome,

27 pages? Have they photocopied all the stepping stones and ELGs from the Curriculum Guidance file? I can't think of any other way of making it that long.

Yes, that is exactly what they have done - and as you can gather I am not best pleased. It gives Rec so much more paper work to do (as if there isn't enough required by law). They have also split some of the ELG into two which means before we can work out profile scores we have to make sure we are not counting twice for the same thing.

And all because they feel left out. Sad isn't it.

I am just going to devise my own system that is easy to keep up to date and then in spring next year go to the Head and say that these 27 pages are just not workable.

Who has done all this? Is it your school or the LEA? And why do they feel left out? I can understand why they wanted to include all the stepping stones, but splitting the ELGs to make more assessment points is ludicrous :o

Nursery Staff have come up with the idea (feeling left out) and for some mad reason the Head is going with it.

The borough had previously scrapped an assessment idea (before profile) because it was too lengthy and this I believe is bigger than that. Its just ridiculous however you look at it.

Like all Reception teachers the work load for completing the profile books is enormous.Has anyone found a list of suitable but appropiate comments to fill at least some of the huge boxes.We :o didnt receive our profiles until May

We've been told by our LEA that we only have to complete the collection data for three children but if we want we can do the whole class, has anyone else been told this?

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you are all talking about FSP profiles. Here in Surrey we are encouraged to complete a Surrey Child Profile which covers all the stepping stones line by line over TWO books about 14 pages each for each of our 3 and 4 year olds these are then passed onto the schools for their input for the seond stage of the Foundation Stage. Do you think this is a good idea and if there are any teachers in Surrey - what would you do with them - file them, bin them or use them? I actually don't mind filling them in too much - highlighter works wonders with a few dates of achievements, sample work and photos attached.

Regards

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

I would much rather begin a record for a child in the Foundation Stage and then pass on that record to the school for further completion. It should, I feel sure, be an ongoing record, and shouldn't end when the child finishes pre-school, for another one to be started in reception. If this is the case, then, it has to feature the stepping stones in detail for completion in pre-school, and then the ELGs for possible completion in reception. Fourteen pages x 2 does seem a lot, but over a two year period it would be manageable I think. Do you?

:o Now its then end of the line for me- after everything else I have now been told I must work in Nursery next year without even a thanks for all you've done this year . I am NOT going back

I'm sorry you are having such a miserable time Makesensetome :o

If you do leave, don't forget it is in your best interests to leave as amicably as possible; you'll need a reference!! Nevertheless, I would imagine you would want to express your disappointment with the last year. Let us know how you get on.

I assume you are all talking about FSP profiles. Here in Surrey we are encouraged to complete a Surrey Child Profile which covers all the stepping stones line by line over TWO books about 14 pages each for each of our 3 and 4 year olds these are then passed onto the schools for their input for the seond stage of the Foundation Stage. Do you think this is a good idea and if there are any teachers in Surrey - what would you do with them - file them, bin them or use them? I actually don't mind filling them in too much - highlighter works wonders with a few dates of achievements, sample work and photos attached.

Regards

Nikki

Hi! Im new to this forum thing so don't even know if I'm doing it right!

Has anyone actually complained to their LEA about the FSP's? Our Early Years Team is in the process of writing a letter and after a meeting with our governors this morning they will support us.

I don't object to the PRINCIPLE of ongoing assessment throughout the year through observation - I welcome it! But has anyone actually worked out that to complete a class of 30 children there's a possibility of over 3000 boxes to 'tick' and completely them 6 times a year means about 21000 boxes to check!?!?!

Is any one actually teaching their YR children? We were sent info on observations by our county with 'helpful' reminder that they were to be completed by the end of June on 4th JULY.

Also WHY do we need to send data to LEA? We too have refused to enter data into computer program.

Claire

:o

It is all a complete mess. Unless you use the booklets for reports there is no point in using them as the process is repeated for the software which makes the total number of boxes checked double in reality.

The LEA need data to pass on to DFes , this is the same as baseline information - they were sent to LEA for analysis etc. To produce this floppy is simple but how reliable are floppys - phone call today need to do again as disc appears corrupt and LEA cannot open info. given on it.

They really should have sorted this all before asking us to use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just spent today at a tainingday all about the FSP and the recoedkeeping that the EYCDP want all preschools and nurseries in my area to use

the system we will use comprises of a list of all the ELG's and we are expected to highlight them as the child achieves them colourcoding the highlighting to show the terms the child achieved the goals the EYCDP had then given the ELG's an extra number so that when the child goes into the reception the information can easily be transfered to the FSP, the reception teacher can continue to use the records we have sent to record the childrens development and link it straight to the FSP as and when the child achieves more ELG's the system was devised by nursery staff and on the outset looks straightforward

on the plus side for reception particularly were the intake is from several preschool settings I would imagine it to be better to have a universal record keeping system rather than a pretty coloured daisy from one setting and a tick chart from another and then nothing from another.

with regards the Data this will be collected to create yet another league table!!! but this will show the "value added" of a school,

comparing the results of the child at point of entry and when they leave will give parents a more acurate picture of the quality of teaching in a school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)