Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception, Year 1 And Year 2

Hi,

first let me apologise incase this is covered elsewhere on the forum - but does anyone teach mixed reception, year 1 and year 2? My school are thinking of combining these classes next year, to make a unit (we don't have enough classrooms for three separate classes, and there will be too many children for our current set up of a straight reception class and a mixed year 1 and 2 class)

I was just wondering whether anyone had an advise on how this works and how they plan for the three ages, as well as any problems.

I know I'm kean - as it isn't an issue til sept 09, but my school want to get things thought over before the onset of christams.

Thanks

Emily

This will probably be totally unhelpful as I have never had R, 1 and 2 together ... but would numbers/room space make R and 1 together, and year 2 on own, an option? I only ask because the three year groups together does not sound appealing to me!

Hi,

first let me apologise incase this is covered elsewhere on the forum - but does anyone teach mixed reception, year 1 and year 2? My school are thinking of combining these classes next year, to make a unit (we don't have enough classrooms for three separate classes, and there will be too many children for our current set up of a straight reception class and a mixed year 1 and 2 class)

I was just wondering whether anyone had an advise on how this works and how they plan for the three ages, as well as any problems.

I know I'm kean - as it isn't an issue til sept 09, but my school want to get things thought over before the onset of christams.

Thanks

Emily

I have a mixed Reception and Y1. Planning and provision is a nightmare at times as you have two different expectations from 2 different curriculums.

Alot depends on how many teachers are going to be allocated to the mix and how many support staff

If you have 2 teachers and at least 2 regular support staff then your mix could work with people being allocated accordingly

Issues arise for the provision of played based -V-more structured NC expectations for Y1/2 children. If your setting wiill allow good played based environment with ability to provide for Y1/2 through new English and Maths framework then you could work it through - hard work and very demanding to achieve

Sorry for the monologue but I been at this for 2 years now begging for help and advice but get no where

Think long and hard before you committ to the mix. See if any where in your area has similar issues and talk thorugh with them

Hi,

I have 10 of each YR, Y1, Y2 all in one class, but it's my first year in this class so I can't comment yet on how well it's going. I do know I fall asleep on the couch in front of the TV at 8pm though!

The teacher before me tended to run the class like a Y1/2 class with YR falling in. Our focus from ofsted, though, is now Early Years.

My main problem is that, although we have loads of good support staff, they each work in all of our 3 classes, so my timetable is a logistical nightmare. I have 18 hours support for a little boy with special needs, but this usually has to be 1:1, then I have a full time TA who is fabulous. I then have access to 3 other part time members of staff for an hour here and an hour there. Life would be much easier if I had a less complicated support staff timetable.

We're still trialling things of course, but this is how it's running so far:

We start the day with phonics, which we cross phase across school - some of my Y2s go to the Y3/4 class for phase 6, I take a larger group for phase 5 (Y1/2/3), the TA runs phase 2 with our YR children, except those not ready, who have access to the outdoor area with the SSA, lots of phase one input as they play, and I have access to another TA for that session who takes a smaller group at ELS level to revisit phase 3.

Then, YR children and the Y1 child with SEN having "Big Play" in the hall or outside with my full time TA and the SSA. I do a short guided reading session with my other TA, then she goes back to the juniors and I'm joined by a different TA who starts work at 9.30! We then have a numeracy session for Y1/2, but when they go off to independent activities which where possible are accessed through adult directed activities in the CP areas, the YR children come back into class and I try to do a short PSRN focus session with them if I don't have a Y1/2 focus group - we alternate the focus group daily. This might not prove to be realistic, but worked OK last week. My TA runs the plenary session for Y1/2 while I take the YR children into the covered outside area for milk and chat time.

After break, for literacy, again the YR children leave the room and go to different "cosy corners" we've created around school in 2 small groups, or altogether if it's my turn to lead their session, for daily story - our Y1/2s are more like a straight Y2 bunch, and their text isn't appropriate for the YR at the moment - but I hope to bring YR into the whole class story part of literacy once they are used to sitting quietly for a good 15 minutes - perhaps after Christmas? The YR children then plan a CP activity and return to class - we're working on appropriate noise level as it can be distracting for the Y2s particularly when the YRs come back in and start playing.

Then I serve lunch! Yes. I know.

After lunch, the YR children might have a GR session while the Y1/2s have reading partners/quiet reading, then we have a whole group input to our focus session for the afternoon. YR join us if appropriate. They then access CP for the afternoon - any focus sessions will be dependent on support staff available, and whether the Y1/2s are able to work independently. Sometimes I might even get a little bit of PPA!!! :o

Sorry this is so long. It's not ideal, but a fabulous challenge trying to make sure I spread myself around every age group. It would be very tempting to stay with Y2 if I'm not careful, with pressures from above in terms of sats etc.

HTH,

Tracylu

Edited by Guest

Wow, that sounds like a huge amount of time management where staff are involved. Thanks ever so much for all of that, it will really help me get my head around this. I am glad to hear one of your main problems is staffing, as that's one issue I can sort.

I hope it all continues to work well for you,

Emily

I hope it all continues to work well for you,
Ahh - well it will once I can get my head around what to do with the little darling who calls me names at the top of his voice that I wouldn't hear on a building site and likes to throw chairs around! He always seems to do it when I'm on my own for a few minutes, too, making me look like an incompetent fool when my TA comes back from her break!

I think I need to take 2 steps back for a little while - perhaps go completely with the FS approach and forget about foundation subjects for Y1/2 until the little ones are more settled. I've probably expected too much too soon.

I'm just rejigging my daily routine to allow for lots of shorter focus sessions for smaller groups across the year groups - it's got to be worth a try as at least Y1/2 will get some teaching, rather than none, which is what's happening at the moment.

I'll let you know how that one goes!

• 3 months later...

Hi I realise this was posted a while back but i was wondering how you were getting on and which part of the country your in.

I too have a mixed yr, y1,y2 class (started at half term) I am fine with y1 y2 mix and wanted to have the yr working along side them (with shorter tasks and more play) however this is not liked by the local foundation coordinator as she is only interested in foundation stage. I would very much like to see how it works in another school or at least share planning, timetabling formats. hope to hear soon anyone who can help!

Hi,

I have 10 of each YR, Y1, Y2 all in one class, but it's my first year in this class so I can't comment yet on how well it's going. I do know I fall asleep on the couch in front of the TV at 8pm though!

The teacher before me tended to run the class like a Y1/2 class with YR falling in. Our focus from ofsted, though, is now Early Years.

My main problem is that, although we have loads of good support staff, they each work in all of our 3 classes, so my timetable is a logistical nightmare. I have 18 hours support for a little boy with special needs, but this usually has to be 1:1, then I have a full time TA who is fabulous. I then have access to 3 other part time members of staff for an hour here and an hour there. Life would be much easier if I had a less complicated support staff timetable.

We're still trialling things of course, but this is how it's running so far:

We start the day with phonics, which we cross phase across school - some of my Y2s go to the Y3/4 class for phase 6, I take a larger group for phase 5 (Y1/2/3), the TA runs phase 2 with our YR children, except those not ready, who have access to the outdoor area with the SSA, lots of phase one input as they play, and I have access to another TA for that session who takes a smaller group at ELS level to revisit phase 3.

Then, YR children and the Y1 child with SEN having "Big Play" in the hall or outside with my full time TA and the SSA. I do a short guided reading session with my other TA, then she goes back to the juniors and I'm joined by a different TA who starts work at 9.30! We then have a numeracy session for Y1/2, but when they go off to independent activities which where possible are accessed through adult directed activities in the CP areas, the YR children come back into class and I try to do a short PSRN focus session with them if I don't have a Y1/2 focus group - we alternate the focus group daily. This might not prove to be realistic, but worked OK last week. My TA runs the plenary session for Y1/2 while I take the YR children into the covered outside area for milk and chat time.

After break, for literacy, again the YR children leave the room and go to different "cosy corners" we've created around school in 2 small groups, or altogether if it's my turn to lead their session, for daily story - our Y1/2s are more like a straight Y2 bunch, and their text isn't appropriate for the YR at the moment - but I hope to bring YR into the whole class story part of literacy once they are used to sitting quietly for a good 15 minutes - perhaps after Christmas? The YR children then plan a CP activity and return to class - we're working on appropriate noise level as it can be distracting for the Y2s particularly when the YRs come back in and start playing.

Then I serve lunch! Yes. I know.

After lunch, the YR children might have a GR session while the Y1/2s have reading partners/quiet reading, then we have a whole group input to our focus session for the afternoon. YR join us if appropriate. They then access CP for the afternoon - any focus sessions will be dependent on support staff available, and whether the Y1/2s are able to work independently. Sometimes I might even get a little bit of PPA!!! :o

Sorry this is so long. It's not ideal, but a fabulous challenge trying to make sure I spread myself around every age group. It would be very tempting to stay with Y2 if I'm not careful, with pressures from above in terms of sats etc.

HTH,

Tracylu

Hi Pinkpanda and welcome.

Does your area FS coord have any suggestions to help you if she does not like what you are doing? Otherwise if it works for you and FS children are getting their along ok, do you need to worry too much. Would it pass muster with the Big O?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)