Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Enhancements To Provision

sharonash

I understand thet our planning should come from the childrens interests, we have been - as suggested by our Early years team-planning on a weekly basis. writing what we are getting out (toys/activities ) in each workshop area for each child according to their individuals childs needs/interests. such as

Workshop MOn Tues Wed Thur Ffri

Graphics tracing paper Stencils

(Billy) (Ben)

Home corner Princess outfits Dolls clothes

(Emma) (Katie)

and so on

Is this what others do ? Im finding this very difficult to plan for its sooooooooooo many activities, also alongside this are focus activities with specific learning intentions for each area of learning to cover the curriculum.

Then we have a learning wall (my choice) to show how the childrens interests are changing - loose theme, children decide upon and we enhance the workshop areas to reflect this theme.

We cant keep up let along play with the children

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant believe we are still in this pickle and I so wanted to start a fresh tomorrow morning can someone please put me on the right track and help me I would REALLY appreciate some help and advice

sharon x

I can't say this is the right way to do things, but my understanding was that you could have plans for continuous provision, meaning the stuff you have on offer for the children ALL the time.

These could be printed up and were there really for every day, week, month.

I thought the enhancements were what needed to be put on that planning sheet!

That way everything doesn't get written down everyday and waste your time.

I have seen some brilliant continous provision plans here on this site somewhere............. take a peek in the planning bit of the posts and threads or ask one of the people who have "lived" on here longer than me!!!!

This will be how we will work as from tomorrow when we head back in.

Trying to cut back on unneccessary paperwork..............

Hope I helped!!

I love the idea of the learning wall by the way!!

Sounds like you are doing a FAB job

Hi Sharon,

I can't get my head round putting children's names against the provision :o Does it mean that those children are provided with the resources because they have previously shown an interest in them? What if they don't want to do that any more?! Or are the names there to encourage staff to tempt the children to those aspects of the provision, because then you'll get some observations of those children in those areas? Or is there another reason that I haven't worked out?! :(

I think "providing for the needs of every child" can be done the other way round, eg by making observations of the children frequently and regularly, you can show that you are providing for their needs, because the observations could show what your input was, how you extended their learning and development, what extra resources you found for them, etc. A bit like planning in retrospect, I suppose! It's planning for their needs at the time, rather than for the following week/next time they come in, by which time, they may well be interested in entirely different things and your planning will have been a waste of time. xD

Hi Sharon,

I can't get my head round putting children's names against the provision :o Does it mean that those children are provided with the resources because they have previously shown an interest in them? What if they don't want to do that any more?! Or are the names there to encourage staff to tempt the children to those aspects of the provision, because then you'll get some observations of those children in those areas? Or is there another reason that I haven't worked out?! :(

I think "providing for the needs of every child" can be done the other way round, eg by making observations of the children frequently and regularly, you can show that you are providing for their needs, because the observations could show what your input was, how you extended their learning and development, what extra resources you found for them, etc. A bit like planning in retrospect, I suppose! It's planning for their needs at the time, rather than for the following week/next time they come in, by which time, they may well be interested in entirely different things and your planning will have been a waste of time. xD

This was my arguement with them exactly! I was previously only adding enhancements to the workshop areas.

They asked me to justify where these enhancements were coming from and- why I was adding them it threw me

I am providing workshop areas which are fully resourced so why do I have to put that I will get the cars out for X -if he wants to play with them he will get them out himself.

Then they tell me my planning is to much- ever get the feeling you cant win!

Thanks for your replies just wanted reassurance before I ditched their idea!

Helen we need you in West Sussex!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)