Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs, Iep's And Planning

Hi

I have recently taken up a new post, working in a pre school assessment centre. One of the tasks that I have is to update planning. Is there anyone who is willing to share how they plan for SEN? Our children come to us for 2 sessions a week as well as attending PVI or state nursery. We have a variety of children in at a time and each child has an IEP that we work on. I need to look at linking in EYFS, IEP and continuous provision into something that is manageable.

Not sure if that all makes sense but would welcome other peoples ideas.

Thanks

Gem

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I have recently taken up a new post, working in a pre school assessment centre. One of the tasks that I have is to update planning. Is there anyone who is willing to share how they plan for SEN? Our children come to us for 2 sessions a week as well as attending PVI or state nursery. We have a variety of children in at a time and each child has an IEP that we work on. I need to look at linking in EYFS, IEP and continuous provision into something that is manageable.

Not sure if that all makes sense but would welcome other peoples ideas.

Thanks

Gem

Hi Gem,

Not quite sure I understand, continuous provision is one way of the planning to impliment the EYFS, and IEP would be the part of the EYFS where you are meeting individual childrens needs.

Do you mean how do you link IEP into continuous provision?

I personally think that the ethos behind EYFS, to plan 'from the child' fits very well with an inclusive approach to children with SEN, (and an individual IEP)

I think the main difference with EYFS (compared to FSC) is the requirement to work with the childs other settings, communicating more formally with each other to encompass all the childs learning experiences within your planning for the child.

The fact SEN children have IEP's may be one way of doing this, if one person from all settings the child attends can meet together to formulate the IEP, then the child will just have one that a few are supporting him/her with, rather than a different IEP in each setting. The logistics for getting together will need some 'out of the box' thinking, but I am sure the effort will benefit the child and enable you to meet this EYFS requirement.

Peggy

Hi Peggy

Thanks for taking time for replying sorry its taken me so long to get back though. Totally agree with you on your points. I have now come up with a format that we are going to trial. I've used the EYFS continuous planning sheet with a few tweaks and then a separate sheet which each key person fills in for their children for the sessions that week. This includes 'links, evaluation and next steps'. This document is to be in the classroom so that all can see what each child is working on.

We'll see how we get on!

Gem x

Have you any ideas yet how you will link with the other settings the children with SEN attend?

Just a little note, the next steps don't necessarily have to be on a weeks rota as such, if the children need less or longer time then give the keyworker freedom to assess this, then they have more ownership of 'planning' for their key children rather than trying to 'fit' into a weekly 'lets plan the next step' approach (if you see what I mean, just a suggestion :o )

Peggy

There is a good link up of services already. Children have multi service reviews which include parents OT, physio, speech and language, other settings, HV, paed's, social workers if applicable and any other parties involved in the care of the child. The long term aims are set up by the teacher at the assessment centre in conjunction with the above parties.

OT and physio visit the centre twice weekly. Each child has a 'home link' book and this is also shared with any other setting the child may go to. The key person at the centre is really the link between all the services. They support the staff in a child's other setting going through a child's IEP and loaning equipment and giving training if needed.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day once the centre gets busy!

Gem

There is a good link up of services already. Children have multi service reviews which include parents OT, physio, speech and language, other settings, HV, paed's, social workers if applicable and any other parties involved in the care of the child. The long term aims are set up by the teacher at the assessment centre in conjunction with the above parties.

OT and physio visit the centre twice weekly. Each child has a 'home link' book and this is also shared with any other setting the child may go to. The key person at the centre is really the link between all the services. They support the staff in a child's other setting going through a child's IEP and loaning equipment and giving training if needed.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day once the centre gets busy!

Gem

The links sound very 'professional and thorough' which in the long run must save lots of time, good communication saves having to repeat the same info more than once. :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)