Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Doubting Our Planning

for each planned activity we produce a short term planning sheet, there is usually 3-5 activities in a week.

on the sheet we desrcibe what the activity will be, how itl b carried out eg groups,one to one etc, what resources are needed and how itl be differntitated. for the activity we have an intended outcome- this is taken from the development matters/elg so for example an activity writing names in sand may meet the 40-60+months development matter for CLL writing.

im doubting is the fact we are saying this is what we want the childrn to learn, but by writing names in the sand theyll be covering more then 1 development matter. childrens learning is interlinked and not seperate so i guess what im trying to ask is should we focus on one learning intention for each activity or recognise on the planning that a variety of learning takes place ?

i just feel our planning is too prescriptive

????

Guest jane707

Eyfs is keen to emphasise that all areas of learning and development are equally important and interlinked and no one area can be 'taught' or learned in isolation...

But there's no harm in saying you are planning for children to learn a certain thing and using that to inform an observation...

So long as everyone remembers to watch out for the other things children are learning at the same time... and is ready to note it down if there is a wow moment.

So you might be watching for a child's next steps in holding a pencil, when they clumsily write their initial letter... you'd share that breakthrough with parents and in the child's obs folder and work on the pencil holding another time.

That's how I see it anyway

As Shiny said, we have a Main Learning Objective and then a section in which other ELGs are listed and I think it is called something along the lines of The children will also have the opportunity to.... We try to include at least one ELG from each area but staff have space to make notes about anything the child might have said/done etc in addition to the ELGs noted.

I think this is where i am confused. we are a playgroup and take children from 2 so we can cover three areas of development

22-36 mths, 30-50mths and 40-60mths. these children can all be present at the same time. if you do a planned activity eg cirlce time and wanted to cocentrate on a goal what would you record.

also do you still follow a set pattern of which elg's you want to cover or do you go along with a variety of experiences etc and hope that they are all covered over the year.

hope this makes sense

angela

We are doing a focus sheet and on this sheet we just put the area of development it links in with, most activities cover quite a few and then we are recording what that individual child did.... we have numbered the ELG's so for example PSE 1 would be dispositions and attitudes, and we would record and then see which age section it links into.... sorry i don't thing i'm explaining myself very well.....

I have found that on one focus sheet i have 4 or 5 different areas covered so we are covering quite a few with each activity... then we are cross referencig these onto individual childs records so we know which areas they need to work on..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)