Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Many Adult Focus Groups Do You Do A Day?

Have just been rereading through the EYFS and there are a few mentions of getting adult led and child led balance. It made me wonder whether this should be half and half, or how much really. at the moment we have about 2 hours straight in the morning where it is free flow and me and my TA do adult focus with all children. This works out though that the children have about an hour and a half CI and 30mins in an adult focus groups. Is this similar to what other people are doing or, do you do more adult focus groups? I have a mixed YR/Y1 class of 30 children.

Hi

I have 30 children in a Reception class. Over the day, one adult (T or TA) does one adult led activity with all the children and the other adult starts and observes an adult initiated activity. The rest of the children have free flow around the indoor and outdoor areas. We found that this gives us more opportunity to do focused observations on individual children and on the zones. Hope that helps.

Becs

yes that helps, thanks. I also do lots of observations and joining in with child initiated play, so that just puts my mind at rest a bit.

Does this mean you do one teacher input session and follow up activities and one other group activity to start and then observe. Sorry to be thick, but do you have other 'getting together/input times without necessarily doing follow up work? I really need to get my head round this as the dreaded 'O' loams, and I have to argue my case to literacy and numeracy co-ordinators :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)