Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For Keyworkers

I am wondering quite what to do about keyworkers? I know the new EYFS says they all need one but in my reception class I work with diffrent TAs in the morning and afternoon so if i divided them up between us sometimes the child's keyworker wouln't be there so I'm wondering about basically it being me who is the keyworker for all 30!! not exactly what the eyfs had in mind. What are others doing??? Last year we shared out some of the quieter ones between us to make sure they had more attention , always spoke with an adult each day.

Hi Catriona

I take it the TAs sessions change weekly. Would they not be allowed the keep the same times? That way you can work out what children are in on the days and share them out. If not dont forget we should have a back up key person to take over when the original is absent. You could have two TAs with the same group of children.

I'm not in a school setting so the above may not work in your situation. Hope you find a solution.

Hi.

I start work as a nursery nurse in a nursery class in September.

I'm sharing half of the children with the teacher and we will be the back up key person for each other.

If you read the attachment re: keyworker, it does mention reception classes on the last page.Key_20person.pdf

I previously managed a pre-school where 2 part timers shared their key children and this worked fine.

Good luck :o

I attend to be key worker for all my 21 reception children. I do have a TA with me 4 days a week but it's not something i can just give her straight out. She will however support me in collecting observations and assessments of the children. Also as it states in the guidance that millhill attached "It should then still be possible to share the welcoming and greeting of children and apply the same principles of consistency, knowing each child well and building a close relationship with parents

and close carers."

Thanks for all your replies. Put my mind at rest!! I have 30 kids and one TA works mornings only and the other TA afternoons. We work together closely so I guess I'll be the keyworker for all and the TAs will support. The TAs feed their feedback to me for parents evenings etc and have informal meetings and discussions with parents but don't go to official aprents evenings. Thanks Millhil for the reference.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)