Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Please Help

Please can anyone give me some advice? I resigned from my position of Manager of a session pre-school almost 3 weeks ago. As yet the directors have not put an advert in to fill the position. This means that there is no 'person in overall charge' when the staff return in September. We do have deputy supervisors who will supervise sessions (and enough of them to ensure that there is 1 super and one deputy per session) but does anyone know the legallity of not having a 'person in charge'?

We are a charity and as of a few weeks ago, we have no committee, due to the directors (suddenly) changing the structure of the group (as we are also a company limited by guarentee)!

I am in the middle of getting everything ready and organised for September, including rotas etc etc but feel uneasy that the staff would have no manager?? I have worked at the group for 6 and half years and care about the staff and children very much.

Any advice?

Thank you

jx

Hi Jenni,

I can really sympathise, as I have been in a pre-school and know how attached you can become, but whatever are you doing, getting things ready for September!!? That's no longer your problem, and it's very remiss of the Directors to 1) have done nothing about replacing you and 2) allow you to do the work you are at the moment!

I feel they are taking advantage of your good nature and commitment to the continued success of a setting you have probably done much to build up. If I were you I would be invoicing them for your time!

As to the main thrust of your post, I really can't comment, as I'm not very current with sessional pre-school legalities these days! I would think someone who CAN advise will be along soon - have you tried the Pre-school Learning Alliance? I remember them as always being very helpful if I had problems in the past.

Good luck, and please let us know how things go.

Sue :o

Guest Wolfie

I do know how hard it is to let go and have also found it very difficult to move on in the past - but as Sue says, it really isn't your problem and you mustn't feel that you've got to solve all the problems. The directors must take charge and find a solution to the situation.

What are YOU thinking of doing now - are you looking for something else or having a break? Let us know how you get on. :o

I agree with others, maybe the directors have decided to promote one of the deputy's and they may have a 'suitable person' interview with Ofsted in September, who knows?

How long is your notice period? If you are paid during holiday time then work your notice period and no more. Letting go is terribly hard, I think anyone who manages a setting, myself included puts their heart and soul and much more into it and to let it go, is nearly akin to a bereavement ( not meaning to sound too melodramatic, but it is).

If it makes you feel better then think about whoever replaces you will be someone who has to work with these directors, your best out of it, and the new person will have the opportunity to prove themselves by 'crisis managing' (a skill I'm good at because I'm always in crisis xD:o:( ), they will survive and so will the preschool. :(

So, what are your plans?

Peggy

I think anyone who manages a setting, myself included puts their heart and soul and much more into it and to let it go, is nearly akin to a bereavement ( not meaning to sound too melodramatic, but it is).

Peggy

No, it isn't melodramatic, Peggy. It was very well put :o It was what I was trying to say, actually....

Sue x

Thank you for your kind words and support and I understand what you are saying about it not being my problem but my notice period ends at the beginning of September and feel that I cant leave the staff 'high and dry' so to speak. Not one of the deputies is willing to take the position (not at all suprised by this!!). The directors asked me to interview 'the new person' and do the handover, I agreed to that but presumed it would happen within my notice period! (it is definately not going to happen that way!!!). The directors have just cut the number of staff per session (I am totally against that decision) and want me to re do the rotas and keyworker lists to reflect this, as well as tell staff that they will be loosing sessions!!!! aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh I think its totally unfair to ask the wonderful and dedicated staff to not only work without a manager but to loose sessions and work on less staff than they have been used to!!!

I am taking a bit of time out to decide what direction to take next! I handed my notice in because of the huge amout of work/stress/strain/unpaid hours etc but the straw that broke the camels back was the directors getting rid of the committee and then expecting me to take on their roles too!! i have been accepted to study my degree and I couldnt see myself coping with both this job and a degree (I know other do, and I take my hat off to them!). i am looking for a job with less responsibilty, leaving more time to spend with my family as they have been sadly neglected! But letting go, is so very hard!!

Perhaps i will phone Ofsted on Monday to clarify the lack of 'person in charge'.

thanks again.

jx

Edited by Jenni B

Jenni,

You should be commended for your commitment. They should have handed you a big fat pay rise to keep you!!

The Directors should be doing the dirty work re staff losing sessions, not you.

Are the new ratios OK within the EYFS? (Probably are, but worth a try)

Do the Directors actually know much/anything about Early Years???

Sorry, so many questions, but I'm quite concerned for you and your (ex) setting.

Sue

Hi, yes the ratios comply with eyfs, its just that the setting has a really good reputation because of maintaining a high staff to child ratio! I have tried to explain to the directors all the reasons why we should keep them as they are but to no avail!

The directors are all volunteers and one of them has a child at the setting but she is also the treasurer!! One of them is an ex teacher and the other, well it used to be his wife's 'project'. She was in charge before me and worked really hard to get the pre-school into a purpose built building, she did that (with a large charity loan) and then handed the reins to me. However the directors still see the building as its greatest resource!! And Although I think the building is lovely, it is actually the staff that are any setting's greatest resource (I have always felt that very strongly!!!) You could be in the most run down building but with superb staff and the children would still come!! You could have the best buildingin the world but with uncommitted and unenthusiastic staff and children/parents would leave!! Sorry I have gone off on another tangent!!!!

I fell bad for the staff that i am leaving behind because I am very very fond of them and want them to be happy in their work! Peggy is right when she says the new manager will have to be good at crisis management! thats if the directors ever get around to placing an advert!!

jx

Jenni,

you sound exactly as I thought, and I have been in the same position, trying to explain and justify (alongside colleagues, who argued far more eloquently) that ratios are a MINIMUM, not the desirable level.

It's hard when that happens - the staff will have more strife before it evens out, because the Directors will have to have their own learning curve, before they fully understand that aspect. It's hard, I know, but so is life..... sighhhhhhhh

You are also VERY right, in that the staff, when they are knowledgable and committed, are a settings greatest resource!

I thoroughly understand the family thing - mine have been Trojans, soldiering on when wife/mum goes off on one to do 'whatever' for 'this course thing she's doing'....

Good idea to phone OFSTED - they will help, and you could always 'accidentally' let slip (to the Directors, or a convenient gossip - there's always one) - a suggestion you have been in discussion ? - or is that too horrible?

Hope all gets sorted for your (ex) setting - and you find a new 'niche' - we haven't heard about that? If you feel like sharing, we'd be happy to hear....