Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Confused About Stepping Stones

Hi,

I know there is probably info on this somewhere but I am a little confused about what stepping stones are - and how the colours relate (I'm new to EYFS) I have had sheets from the preschools of my reception children, with that stepping stone they are on. Where would I find guidance on this? Also how does this relate to the new EYFS - just been using it to plan, and now wondering where the stepping stones fit in.

Sorry for the question - my brain has just died!

Em

I think the stepping stones have been incorporated into the development matters section of the EYFS.

They were previously suggested possible stages of development leading to Goal attainment and were in 3 colour bands (yellow, blue, green with yellow being the first step and green the last)

but the colours have been discontinued in favour of age approximate bands. As children enter reception they will be working within the 48-60m window if they are developmentally on track with their age so you should find the descriptors you have been given within this.

Guest Wolfie

What a good explanation! You might also notice that the age band sections of Development Matters overlap which differs from how the stepping stones were laid out. So you might need to look at the 30 - 50 months section for your intake as well.

Edited by Wolfie

Brilliant, thanks so much for that. It all sounds so simple now. Will look at the 30-50 months as well for some, especially as some are on the green stepping stones.

Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)