Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journey-pilot

I have been asked to take part in a pilot sceme for a learning journey - early years foundation stage record of achievement.

As there has been discussions on learning journeys and how to set them out etc, I thought you may be interested on the lay out of this one.

The first page is a settling in period-up to six weeks from starting date.

Sub titles include- Confidence to leave parent/carer

(Developing self-confidence, independence. Developing ability to make choices, relationships with adults and children, developing ability to share, take turns, self help skills.)

Developing ability to communicate (language spoken)

Developing interests in activities and equipment (prefered types of play etc)

Developing physical skills (using small equipment, co-ordination, control, confidence)

The page is then made into 3 columns - Date, Observation, What next? Planning points.

Next three pages are different types of planned observation sheets (I guess to use which one you prefer)

Next PSED

Two columns , 1. aspects 2. collect age and stage appropriate evidence about:

Under aspects has different areas ie disp & att, self conf & self esteem etc, under evidence has a selection of outcomes to obs eg preffered activities, making choices, managing own needs.

The page is then made into 3 columns as above.

Each area is in the same format, thou literacy has 3 pages devoted to it.

The last page is a Review of progress - name, and date and 3 columns - Curriculum area, achievements, what next?

Seems good, only no space for photographs, apart from on one of the observation sheets, although it's easy to put a page with pictures in between the document.

Now I don't know if this is of any use or interest, but I have found so much on here since joining, that I thought I'd like to share something which I am going to do. Hopefully it'll work!

Reading this back it sounds a bit erm like it is of no interest at all and not eary to understand, but I'll post it anyway!

Jackie

HI we are also going to try and set up the Learning Journeys in Nursery. I went on a course and it seems to be a great way of using observations in a very possitive way. The way you have set out your pages looks like a great basis and if you don't mind will use it as a guide. I had a few practice goes before we finished last term and on the Learning Journey course part of it was lead by practitioners who have a well established system running - one private day nursery the other was a reception teacher in main stream so we had the benefit to see some completed folders. I have been reading through Margaret Carr's book which is quite inspiring. Also trying to look at Outdoor provision and ideas for new planning sheets, some holiday plus 4 children of my own to look after - so thanks for the help.

Thanks for sharing Jackie, it will be interesting to hear how it works in practise for you once you return in September. Believe me any contributions / ideas are of interest so don't worry about that, you've described the format very well. :o

Peggy

Hi JMB. Have you designed the format or has it been given to you?

Yes I have been given the format.

The idea is to use it and/or adapt it if we wish, but to be quite honest it seems quite a simple format, though time will tell!

It's only for a term, and then I have to send it back after filling in a questionaire as to how I found it, though I will be photocopying it to use for all my children for the school year.

For each area of learning not all the points are written, but from what I understand not absolutely everything has to be 'ticked off' (oh I hate to say that!)

if you know what I mean.

Jackie

How do I change my name from JMB to jmb, feel I'm just being my normal loud self. :o

I have been asked to take part in a pilot sceme for a learning journey - early years foundation stage record of achievement.

As there has been discussions on learning journeys and how to set them out etc, I thought you may be interested on the lay out of this one.

The first page is a settling in period-up to six weeks from starting date.

Sub titles include- Confidence to leave parent/carer

(Developing self-confidence, independence. Developing ability to make choices, relationships with adults and children, developing ability to share, take turns, self help skills.)

Developing ability to communicate (language spoken)

Developing interests in activities and equipment (prefered types of play etc)

Developing physical skills (using small equipment, co-ordination, control, confidence)

The page is then made into 3 columns - Date, Observation, What next? Planning points.

Next three pages are different types of planned observation sheets (I guess to use which one you prefer)

Next PSED

Two columns , 1. aspects 2. collect age and stage appropriate evidence about:

Under aspects has different areas ie disp & att, self conf & self esteem etc, under evidence has a selection of outcomes to obs eg preffered activities, making choices, managing own needs.

The page is then made into 3 columns as above.

Each area is in the same format, thou literacy has 3 pages devoted to it.

The last page is a Review of progress - name, and date and 3 columns - Curriculum area, achievements, what next?

Seems good, only no space for photographs, apart from on one of the observation sheets, although it's easy to put a page with pictures in between the document.

Now I don't know if this is of any use or interest, but I have found so much on here since joining, that I thought I'd like to share something which I am going to do. Hopefully it'll work!

Reading this back it sounds a bit erm like it is of no interest at all and not eary to understand, but I'll post it anyway!

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for this information. This is something that I am really, really interested in but don't really know where to start. Is there any possible way that you could e-mail me a copy of the learning journey? Don't worry if you can't I understand that it may not be possible.

Thank you

Boogie xx

I would love to, but I'm afraid I'm not that good with technology and both of my daughters, (who are) are away travelling for the summer.

When they return I will see if they can do it, although it won't be for another 3 or 4 weeks, sorry.

Jackie.

I would love to, but I'm afraid I'm not that good with technology and both of my daughters, (who are) are away travelling for the summer.

When they return I will see if they can do it, although it won't be for another 3 or 4 weeks, sorry.

Perhaps one of us could talk you through it!? :o

• 2 months later...

Hi Jackie

Have just re-read your notes on the pilot Learning Journey you are using. Just wondered if your ICT wizards had returned and there was any chance of you posting it up as I can't quite get the old grey matter to picture the complete document. Also by now you can advise us of any modifications you have made as you have gone alone! Would be much appreciated.

Jane

I'll speak to people in the know and see if there is a way of putting it on the forum.

As it's a printed document, not sure how to do it, unless I scann it, put it onto a disc and then load it on.

Tell the truth, I have no idea!!

Will work on it :o

jackie

Hi Jackie,

Since this is something that has been developed by someone else you would need to ask their permission before uploading onto the forum in any case. Perhaps if they are agreeable then they will be able to let you have it in an electronic format. :o

Hi we have been doing' Learning Journeys for the past few weeks, we have found that the best way for us is to vary the format we use, so each child has at least 1 full 'official' lookng LJourney (from the EYFS site), they have one page saying 'my favourite thing at nursery', one picture might be a group activity and the other was from their first day in nursery. We don't know if it's officially 'right' but they have been fantastic! the children love them! they handle them as often as they like, We read the stories to them at group time and they say 'will you read a story about me?' The children sit and hold the books quite comfortably and show good 'reading' skills! we also sit with the children and scribe their comments onto their pages for them and let them make marks. Today and yesterday we had our parents in to see how the nursery runs, and to see how their children have settled, we had our photo albums and Learning Journeys out - they loved them. we said they could take them home to show their wives or husbands and explained how we wanted it to be a two way thing with photos coming from them. you couldn't have asked for a better response. like I say I don't know if they are 'Right' but they are right for us!