Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Porta Cabins

I just wanted to ask if anyone has ever looked into hiring a porta cabin or buying one to put a pre-school in, we have the option of the land but no building.. i'm just wondering if this could be an option... as anyone ever gone down this road... just curious of costs and whether it would work.. would it be big enough etc...

Edited by Guest

We are currently in a portacabin on our local primary school site. This was supplied to us by our lea when we were forced to abandon our community centre due to subsidence of the building. This is a temporary arrangement until the new 'community centre' has been built, expected end of Nov.

However we are considering squatters rights and stopping, don't know how well this would go down! xD

Price we have been given is £25,000 to purchase cabin that will house up to 30 children per session :o

I looked into it once, about 6 yrs ago. I found a 100 place very large portacabin for sale for £20,000, a real bargain. The owners had built a new permnent nursery. It had play rooms, staff rooms, entrance reception with ramp for disabled access etc. It was located about 20 miles from where I live, but unfortunately I didn't have land to place it on. :o

One consideration, if you find one, is the cost to transport to site, this particular one would have cost £6,000 to transport, I was thinking of placing it on a friends farm until I had purchased / rented my own land. The gamble of owning a portacabin without somewhere to place it was too great for me at the time, must admit I've regretted it since.

Peggy