Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ring Games

Hi all

was wondering if anyone new any good ring games we play duck duck goos, isnt it funny how a bear likes honey and i sent a letter to my friend but i dont kinow any others. Ay suggestions would be very useful

Lola

we have one that the children adore, you have 3 children as ducks in the middle of the circle and a fox out of the circle

while you walk around holding hands singing the ducks in the middle move too.

it goes

3 little ducks were swimming on the pond

swimming on the pond, swimming on the pond

3 little ducks were swimming on the pond

swimming on the water.

(fox starts walking around the outside of the circle, circle stands still clapping)

when a great big fox goes strolling along, strolling along, strolling along,

a great big fox goes strolling along and he/she took one duck from the water.

repeated untill no ducks are left, then the fox goes around the last time with no little ducks left and falls splash in the water!!

i made the mistake of saying all of my 28 leavers could be the duck or fox before we finish next tuesday so the staff have just about had enough of the game but the children can't wait to have another go!!!!

One child in middle of circle pretending to cry

All sing, Poor (childs name) is a weeping, a weeping, a weeping, (I changed the word weeping for crying)

Poor (childs name) is a weeping, on this (describe weather) ......ie:fine sunny day, or cold rainy day

Adult says to child ...."Mary, why are you crying?"

child in middle sings, I'm crying for a playmate, a playmate, a playmate, I'm crying for a playmate on this fine sunny day.

all sing, Sad Mary needs a playmate, a playmate, a playmate, sad mary needs a playmate on this fine sunny day.

Adults says " Mary choose a playmate", the child in the middle chooses a friend, they hold hands and skip around the outside of the ring whilst the children clap hands and sing; Now Mary's found a playmate, a playmate, a playmate, now Mary's found a playmate on this fine sunny day.

Then the child chosen as the playmate goes into the middle and the song starts again.

Our children loved the repetitiveness of this song, and we almost always ended up singing it until everyone had a go in the middle, the children didn't get bored with it. Some would really 'act out' the crying very well. This is best done when all the children are secure and settled (ie not at the very beginning of term). Actually one girl once got so involved in the 'acting' part that she actually started crying, although we were initially worried it actually helped the child to voice a worry that she had which emotionally manifested itself at this time. Overall though this is a positive song / game that was often requested. It also helps shy children to develop confidence in speaking (singing) out loud when it is their turn in the middle. :o

Peggy

We do ..

I was walking in the country going to the fair

when I saw ....(child's name )... with feathers in his/her hair.

and she went shimmy shimmy shimmy

shimmy all day long

Turn around, touch the ground

and back to the start of the song

(the children stand in a circle and march on the spot)

(one child gets called into the middle and follows the shimmy actions as the others sing)

Then repeats

Am on a roll now ...

Here comes the postman rat a tat tat

Here comes the postman with some letters in his sack..

Is it for you or is it for me..

Let's take a look and then we will see!

Also

I expect you know 10 (or more) little people in a flying saucer

Flew round the world one day

They looked left and right but

they didn;t like the sight so

one of them flew away!

Zoom!

And

There was a princess long ago

etc

i can't think of a tune similar to it but all of my staff sing it slightly differently when it's their turn to lead ring games so you could make it up!!

we do another one called elephants balancing it starts of with the adult walking around the children sitting on the floor singing

1 elephant went balancing step by step on a piece of string

she/ he thought it was such a wonderful stunt so she/he called for a (name of child) elephant

the child then holds on to the back of person in front then you count the elephants and start walking and sing 2 elephants etc. till all the children are in a big line behind the leader (if you have a big group you need alot of space!)

the last verse ends, but there were no more elephants!

a great game for numbers!!

sorry wasnt very helpful xD

children hold hands and skip round in a ring while one child skips around the ring

round and round the village

round and round the village

round and round the village like we have gone before

children stop and clap hands there needs to be gap between them and the child on the outside skips between them

In and out the wiindows

in and out the windows

in and out the windows

like we have done before

wherever the child stops its that childs turn to go round the village

keep humming it but cant think of the tune sorry :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)