Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Boys

Hi We have a rapidly increasing amount of boys coming to preschool. They r taking over and squeezing all the girls out! was there something put in the water 3 years ago that has resulted in a boy explosion? In Sept we r looking forward to 15 boys and 4 girls on an average day and are slightly concerned as to what to do with them all. we have a limited outdoor space and no shelter out there. any ideas on what to do, strategies on coping, ideas, topics, anything just so i can look forward to september instead of reaching for my headache tablets before we even started???

We have just had a very boy heavy year and I can empathise :o .....not that I want to add to your worries, but we have had to plan, prepare, forget all those preparations, plan again, try new things, home in on interests (that are no longer an interest when we focus on them!), and get them moving.

The one thing that seemed to work was an emphasis on physical overload development - oh and workshops, sorry to be stereotypical but it worked for our boys, needless to say this last week can't come quick enough! xD

Thanks for the quick response! Can you please tell me what u mean by physical overload development? do u mean heavy lifting, crates, boxes, jugs etc..?

Hi, we have been inundated this year with boys and have found that having free flow system helped along side "garage" lots of wheels, tools!! and cars work well, we had a pirate week which went well, they like gardening, keeping them digging, weeding, harvesting even in the rain. Hopefully with the implementation of the flexible planning we will keep going with the children's interests like we have as above as we naturally steered towards it through exasperation of not knowing what to do with them. ooh - also transport inspired them having a crossing, stop sign, traffic lights etc! good luck... :o

we had a large number of boys last year, one thing we used that worked well for us at circle time, story time etc. was a 'golden chair' (we were donated a very cosy child's armchair) this was talked about during the session by staff and children and became a big incentive to reward good behaviour, they also seemed to enjoy the competition of trying to tidy up the best or help a friend or adult and took great pleasure in letting staff know how well they had done!!! we kept a track of who sat in the chair so to make it as fair as poss!

Yeh - sorry I really just meant that wheeled toys, hoops, target practice with beanbags and buckets, competitions, obstacle courses, duck, duck, goose, bikes and anything that encouraged the boys to let off steam and utilise all that energy, if there isn't enough moving around for them they seem to get cabin fever and need space, we have just really altered the session to suit their needs, which has been really thought provoking over the last term, makes you really respond to their individual needs - which I guess is how it should be.

Edited by Guest

I have just found this great resource on the tts site. its called squashblox - think it will be a real hit with those boys who love to make dens etc look on www.tts-group.co.uk. sorry dont know how to do a link yet?!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)