Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fun Maths Games Please?

pickle

Hi all - looking for help once again.

I need some short but fun maths activities for 4-5 year olds.

With particular emphasis on number recognition and counting out a specific number of items to 5.

I use loads of songs and 'hands on' activities but am bored of my usual repetoire xD

Any good hints for books or sites or ideas would be really appreciated :o

our children like nothing more than acting out the rhymes. 5 cheeky monkeys or 5 little ducks etc they hold up a number and get in order. when we do 5 little leaves the rest of the children blow them off the tree and they have to get back in line in the correct order.

Ditto! How about 5 little monkeys?

5 little monkeys

swinging from a tree

along came a crocodile

quiet as can be

Oh said the monkeys

you can't catch me!

Snap Snap Snap........

4 little monkeys

swinging from a tree etc.

Thanks Andreamay..

Mine do too - but I think I have just about exhausted all the 5 little ....(songs) possible and more!

I really struggle as these children have real difficulty concentrating so I tend to go for outdoor lively stuff!

Think I have just overdone the studying and am now braindead :o

i did smartie maths the other week could you adapt that. Naturally the children loved it!! Also 5 in a bed. junk beds with 5 heads and a cover on, old cd disks make good headboards. they could choose how many in their bed and write the number on a sticker to put on the bed. Old birthday cards for cutting with numerals on. Playdough cakes and straws for candles always goes down well. will keep thinking :o

we did a doctors surgery and the children had to take a number and wait their turn. also worked well in a shoe shop the shop assistent called a number. staff needed to model it at first but they soon got the message. Aeroplane seat numbers they buy a ticket and have to sit in the seat that matches.we have alot of gold coins (tokens) always popular to count money!!! 5 coins to buy a ticket to a puppet show etc

Edited by Andreamay

we do a postman delivering letters game......postman has envelopes with door numbers on 1 - 10, up to 10 children stand in a line (number mixed around) pretending to be the door and they also have a laminated sign with a number 1 - 10. The postman delivers his letters to the correct door number. I guess this is more for number recognition but we do count as well so you could adapt it to suit.

Number hunts outside and inside (finding hidden numbers or seeing what numbers they can find in the environment or taking a box around and collecting a certain number of things to put in the box)

Ordering numbers that are written on the playground / put up around the playgrund (over a large area) by riding their bike first to number 1, then 2 etc - children have to think what number comes next, see where the number is and then ride their bike to it

Interactive numberline - numberline with hooks on and those little washing powder net bag things - children collect the corresponding number of lego pieces / pencils / marbles etc etc and hang them up.

Baking number-shaped biscuits and decorating them with the corresponding number of chocolate chips / raisins / sweets - similar in playdough - make pretend birthday cakes for 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 year olds with the right number of candles.

Ten Terrible Dinosaurs is a great picture book for counting back from 10.