Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For Groups

Hi all,

I am currently developing a new children's centre. As part of this i need to plan the groups and carry out some kind of assessment? Does anyone have an example of the planning they do for groups? as i can't get my head round how it might look? and how do you make it child centred when you dont know who will be attending!! Also does anyone else carry out assessments of children from groups? if so how do you do this and what do you do with it once the child has left the centre? does it feed into their school or is it simpley for your benefit? As with everything children's centre so many questions!

If anyone could help me out that would be fab!!

Thanks

Ldev

Guest Wolfie

Hi Ldev! I'm in a Children's Centre too - can you just explain what you mean by groups? Do you mean ones like Stay and Play and Tots n Toddlers? And creches?

Hi Ldev! I'm in a Children's Centre too - can you just explain what you mean by groups? Do you mean ones like Stay and Play and Tots n Toddlers? And creches?

Yeah stay and play, messy play that kind of thing.

Hello Ldev

In our Stay & Play groups we are lucky to have quite a strong core of regular attendees so that makes things a bit easier when planning. We do it very similarly to that done in nursery ie observe, plan, assess, but not in as much detail. We find significant comments most useful and try to act on them as soon as possible, preferably within the same session, as the child will probably have forgotten what he was doing by the next session or will not turn up at all. If we have to wait until the next session we use the observation but keep it quite broad so that if the child does not turn up other children can still benefit from the planned activity.

Thank you guys i think i am getting my head round it all. Off to visit a couple of other CC's doing to see it in practice. I guess i won't know how it works in reality until i know who my regular attendee's will be! :oxD

Guest Wolfie

I haven't forgotten you, just snowed under this week...I'll answer properly when I'm on top of things! I think you'll find visits to other CCs very intersting and worthwhile.

Hello

i work in a children's centre.

what we have been doing is observing the children and if we spot a similar interest in a group of children, we will then plan on their interests.

it will be very broad and open ended so it can be adapted.

i then evaluate which children enjoyed the activity, how they explored and then we would plan from there for the next week.

i feel parents can sometimes hinder the activities you provide and block lovely learning opportunities, no matter how hard you plan. :o but some parents are great...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)