Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents In The Classroom

Hi, we are thinking of asking parents into our Reception classroom for first 10/15 mins of the day in September to help children write their names or other activity. What do other settings do? Is it a problem? Not got a lot of support from HT so any positives would be good. Thanks

Guest heleng

The parents come in on a Friday for reading with parents where they are encouraged to share a book with their child. This runs through the school (Rec- Y3) apart from year 4.

To get our parents more involved from September parents will be coming in to Reception on a Tuesday to do puzzles, Thursday to play board games and choose a home game and a Friday for reading. We have found the reading with parents is more successful with the younger children as in Year 4 the parents say they can already read so what is the point!!!!! They stay roughly 10-15 mins.

In the nursery class we open the doors at 9.00 (oficially opening time) to let parents in with their children to settle them at an activity and provide the oportunity to talk to me when the children aren't my responsibility. This varies in effectiveness, depending on which parents we have. For example, some people stand and talk to other parents and don't really take the oportunity to interact with their child at an activity. But some really like it.

Elfy

x

One school I work with (am an Early Yrs consultant) have parents coming in with their children every day in every class. It is for about 15 mins at the start of the day and has been extremely successful. The main focus has been reading, but it is also a chance for other activities to take place (looking through homework, doing some early morning maths problem solving together, board/card games, topic based activities etc.). I observed it on arrival one morning and the whole atmosphere was calm and happy. It has also helped parents build relationships with one another - taking them off the playground, where cliques easily form.

Hope that's useful.

Hello!

I was on a reception placement a few years ago, and the classroom had a system of opening up 15minutes early for parents. They followed a schedule too, Mondays was reading games, Tuesday was maths games, Wednesday was phonics work, Thursday was library day, and friday was just general games, like snakes and ladders etc.

I found that this worked really well, I think a lot of the children (and parents) appreciated this time together without all the distractions of home or older children!

It also gives you as a teacher a chance to talk to parents without worrying about it chopping into your morning schedule. (i don't know about you, but in one school the admin lady would get REALLY cross if the register didn't arrive at 9.10 on the dot!!)

It's something I'm thinking of implementing into my nursery in september.

Hope this helps a bit!

xx

what a fabulous idea! Currently, the reception teacher at our school will not allow parents into her classroom at all.............she reduced one new parent to tears last September, because the parent 'dared' to walk in AND actually stood on her carpet!....There is to be a new teacher this year, so it will be interesting to see what she brings to the school....................and if she invites interaction with us too(currently, our transition information about the new children going up gets 'permanently filed' without being looked at!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)