Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fsu To Nursery And Rec/y1

Hi to all! xD

Need some advice and pointing in right direction.

5 years ago we used to teach Rec with Y1 (Y2 sometimes), then we changed to a Foundation Stage Class with Rec / Nursery, very successfully, noticed the positive change in Reception children across all areas.

We've had funding cut :( which means we have to return to Nursery (am only) and Rec / Y1.

I dont want to teach reception children in the same way I did 5 yrs ago (VERY structured) but need some guidance on the mixing of the Y1 children. :o

Personal exp. / websites etc - GLADLY accepted!!! :(

:o I have been teaching Reception/Year1 as a mixed group for around 6 years. I think the best piece of advice I can give you is to see them as one large class with lots of different abilities rather than two seperate year groups with different curriculums to cover. Rather than waffle on about my class are there specific questions you have? or particular areas you'd like to discuss. My class do not have a formal fixed timetable, there is lots of play for everyone and having been involved in a project on 'Transition' we also ditched formal playtimes opting for free flow in and out. xD

Hi,

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'd really like some advice on this too - just basic stuff such as how often you would do a whole class session when you have such a wide range of ability/maturity etc. within the class, whether Y1(and in my case Y2 too) would have the same access to continuous provision, and - one that is causing great debate in our stffroom at the moment - whether there is ever a time in the day when they are all sitting at tables (the class I'm inheriting has hundreds of tables and I'd love to get rid of a few). Also - are your adult led sessions usually small group sessions? For example, do you think it would be feasible to do a short numeracy input at Y2 level for the children at that point, then one at Y1 level, and another for the YR children?

Thanks - and sorry to butt in, safclass!

Tracylu :o

Hi, I think the trouble is there is no textbook way of managing your class. How you run things will depend on your school, headteacher etc......

Ok I don't do lots of whole class teaching just for the sake of it. So for example if we were all doing the same big book, science focus, numeracy focus etc then yes I would do it with all the children at the same time. But where the children are working at different levels e.g some children working with numbers to 10, some to 20 I work with them in ability groups SO if appropriate I would have R children working with Year 1 etc..... I also have a TA working on adult focused and the rest of the children work on continuous provision, child initiated or adult initiated activities. The other thing here is I am very fortunate to have another TA who floats and does observations etc..... and we rotate weekly so we all observe and facilitate play.

As for Year 2 personally if I had them in the class I am sure I would work in the same way, I don't believe that just because children are made to sit at tables the learning is any better or there is more of it. Space was more important to me and I ditched the tables!!!!!

Hope that helps a bit :o

As for Year 2 personally if I had them in the class I am sure I would work in the same way, I don't believe that just because children are made to sit at tables the learning is any better or there is more of it. Space was more important to me and I ditched the tables!!!!!

Hope that helps a bit xD

Massively! Thanks. :o Can't wait to start shifting furniture over the summer!

Yay you go for it, seriously the more space there is the better. My children have access to clipboards and a well stocked writing area both in and out (I bought something with pockets that you can hang on the fence). Good luck :o

My children have access to clipboards and a well stocked writing area both in and out (I bought something with pockets that you can hang on the fence). Good luck :o

Fab idea -thanks!

Please could I butt into your conversation!! Would really appreciate your help and advice fairynough. I have just been told today that I am going to have a mixed Rec and Year 1 class in September!! Feeling very anxious about it already. I have no idea where to start planning or organising my class at the moment :o I did think along the lines of keeping it as ability rather than 2 separate classes. Will be easier to teach and differentiate activities according to their needs. I know you said you don;t have a structured timetable. But do you have a basic timetable for me to have a look at to get me on my feet? Not sure how to fit in Child Initiated Play and everything else. Already have my current reception class parents knocking on my door telling me they don't want their children to be held back!!!! ooohhh it's just too scary and mind boggling to think about!!

Hi

I have had a mixed Rec/Year 1 class this year after having pure Reception previously. Basically I just fitted the Year 1 objectives in to my Reception Topics so the children worked within a similar tpic with similar objectives that were at their level. I did do a lot of group teaching- extra input for Year 1's in some areas whilst Rec were doing independent activities then vice versa (usually in Num/Lit).

Featherstone have produced a couple of good books which have some fab ideas on planning/activities/matching objectives and topics. Have a look on their web site. I think the books I have are called somethings like 'Smooth Transitions', 'Making it Work in Year 1' and one with lots of planning examples in - something like Rec/Year 1 Mixed Age Class or It's fun to work in a mixed age class. (sorry my books are at school).

Hope this is useful. Good Luck!

Rachel

Oh it's called 'Managing the Curriculum for Mixed Age Classes: Foundation and Year 1'.

If you go on acblack.com they have a featherstone tab on their home page.

Thank you for your advice rachybabby! Have just ordered the books. Am looking forward to the challenge and something a bit different. Not sure how I am going to cope though!!! Do you have a timetable that I could have a look at just to see how you organise your day? Not sure how to fit in Child Initiated Play!!! Do you use the Framework for literacy and numeracy for your Y1's??

Thank you for your advice rachybabby! Have just ordered the books.

I've ordered them too! Thanks for the pointers.

Tracylu :o

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who replied - Sorry its taken soooo long to reply, but you know what the end of term is like (add to that building work and new kitchen at home - you can imagine the effect on my brain!!)

Glad it's not just me, and that others also have queries/problems getting their head around it.

I've also inherited a lot of tables (ordered 2 weeks before changes to classes was organised!!)

Unfortunately I dont have 'free access' to outside area - mornings I think we will have set playtime but not on afternoons.

I will have approx. 25 children (12 Y1 / 13 Rec) and 1 TA morning / nursery nurse pm.

I would really love to see a daily/weekly plan from someone if possible.

I know many people are on hols - going on mine this weekend!!!!! xD so will just check up later in hols.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)