Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Job Interview At Pmld School

Hello all,

I have read some of the previous posts and thought you may be able to give me some advice.

I have an interview for a job at a special school, I need to teach a 15 min lesson on sensory/story/song/music to 3 pupils with profound multiple learning difficulties. All I know about

them is that they will be working at P1-P3, I do not know their age. I wondered whether anyone has any ideas?

I have had some experience volunteering a long time ago, however not with teaching, but currently work in the FS in a mainstream school - this is a job I really really want so please please help!

Thought some sort of sensory story would be good?

Many thanks

Thank you!

I was thinking of using the story I'm going on a bear hunt, and having tactile props like a pot of long grass, bowl of squidgy mud, water and props like a cuddly bear etc and then use the props to support the story, also having some instruments to help make the sounds like a drum or container for them to either pat with their hands or use their feet to make foot step sounds, sand paper to rub together for the grass and a rain stick for the snow storm.

What do you all think? I want to keep it simple but very sensory and tactile!

Thank you!

The interview is on wednesday. Trying to sort the lesson plan out - not sure whether I'm missing anything out or expecting too much!

I think it sounds like a lovely lesson! My class have done the Bear Hunt this year (not me doing it as it was on my PPA time) but they did similar.

Its a pity they didn't give you a brief profile of the individual children and what P level they are at as there is huge difference of what my expectations would be of a child on P1i to a child on P3ii e.g. a child at P1 would perhaps 'tolerate' the lesson and let you use hand over hand support for your sensory objects but the P3ii child would get involved int the activity and perhaps choose their preferred item through vocalising, eye pointing, gesturing etc. On your planning make it clear that you have differentiated between the three levels. However I think the main thing they are probably looking for is that you recognise the sensory elements needed to stimulate PMLD children. Good luck I am sure it will be great!

Ahh I didn't read your post clearly, 15 minutes the instruments maybe too much. In fact you may have to miss out 1 or 2 bits of the story if it takes a while for each child to experience each section.

Thank you, I had thought as much.

I've added the instrumnets to the plan and will mention that my plan may change slightly depending on the children and the time available.

Thank you all so much for your advice will let you know how it goes!!

Thank you both for your help, unfortunately I didn't get the job, they loved the lesson, said I came a close second and have asked me to reapply as they think there will be another job available at Easter. Gutted but the time frame works better for me if this other job does come up!

Again thank you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)