Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guttering, Crates, Pallets

i went on a fantastic early excellence training last night about outdoor play and its inspired me to enhance my outdoor area, however i have no idea where i can get guttering pipes or crates or pallets from fro either free or cheap, i ahve looked on freecycle, ebay and searched on google

any recommendations, i am in the manchester area

We got some free guttering and pipes from our local DIY store. Have you asked parents? They may work in such a place or even have some spare going begging behind the garden shed!

I know you said you looked on freecycle but if you put in a requirement you may get some joy when you least expect it.

We recieved 2 huge tyres from a parent which have been very useful and have bought a range of large wooden planks and blocks which are continually on offer outside.

Good luck in your search! :o

I got my pipes from a local window and faschia man(lives opposite) tyres from local A2 tyres and they delivered, got crates by phoning round local pubs(apparently they are not being made any more as bottles are being delivered in boxes.

My Deputy popped into B&Q for some pallets (to make a pretend 'stage) and they gave them to her for free!!!! If you dont ask.............?? :oxD

got my pallets from skips and crates from asking milkman. We put a request in the newsletter for tyres, guttering and drainpipes and got a few bits from parents this way. We also have some canopies fitted at school this week and in return for making the workmen cups of tea they left the off-cuts of guttering- nothing like the bat of an eyelash to get what you want girls and I'm not ashamed to say it :o

We have some crates and I'm hoping to get some more and some guttering - just wondered how many crates and pipes and guttering etc people have / would recommend in a setting? (I have 30 children and 7 crates at the moment). i suppose it depends on the physical size of your setting, but what would be a pointlessly small amount, for example?

Also, would people share their exciting ideas about uses of these resources? We use our crates for self-initiated large construction activities and self-initiated role play activities (the children love pretending they're trains / buses / cars).

Do you use guttering and pipes for construction or water play?

I asked parents- got some baker's trays and other bits of pieces. Our chair of governors is a farmer so gave us some 2 huge tractor tyres. The caretaker gave us some guttering. Oh and I picked up some crates from where some people had done some fly tiping! Cleaned them up and they are fab!