Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

We've All Been To The Zoo Today!

we have had a great day at colchester zoo today that coach turned up on time and we all got on, we are not brave enough to go without parents but still have a few children, whose parents for whatever reasons can't manage to come so usually have a handful to look after, this year it was only 2 between 4 of us bliss! but still a responsibility that leaves you tried at the end of the day!! we fed the giraffes and watched the elephants having a bath we saw the tigers and lots of monkeys, it was all over too soon then back on the coach all present and correct then home again, i'm always glad when trips are over but then look forward to the next one!! :o has anyone else got a trip lined up soon?

I've got a trip to the zoo soon as a parent helper for my childrens school. Must admit I'm looking forward to being a 'come along guest' rather than having to organise it all. :o

Peggy

sounds like a brilliant day.I wish we had a zoo near us.

We are nt going away on a trip but we ve had an amazing day today.

The local childrens centre manager,Surestart staff and development workers put on a picnic in the park to celebrate national childcare month .All pre school provisions are invited,

We all meet up at the bandstand in our local park ,with picnics, blankets ,wellies ,raincoats ,sun hats and cream for a day filled with fun and entertainment.

This years theme was food and farming

We ve had farm anlmals,a tractor to sit on,visit by the fire service,lots of crafts,painting ,face painting,music,stories,balloon modelling fruit/veg faces to make -and eat!! and four bouncy castles,

We had a brilliant day - and so did the children!!! and the sun shone -we only had one shower of rain- it poured last night and the forecast was awful!! there were some very tired ,happy children going home tonight !!

Glad you both had a good time. We are going to Dunham Massey Park next Thursday. It is a local National Trust house and park. We are not going to go round the house but they have a herd of deer and some ponds. So we will have a walk and look for animals and birds, we are taking the parachute, beanbags and balls so we can have a play and then have a picnic lunch. Back on the coach by 1 o'clock and back at pre-school by 1.30. Let's hope the weather stays dry!

Linda

Hi glad you had a great time at the zoo ! Can I be really cheeky and ask did you do a risk assessment and could I please, please have a look at it ? I'm going to the zoo next week and getting VERY stressed about it, we never done any risk assessments for trips and I'm not sure what to put in one.

I'd be very grateful !

Guest Wolfie

Have you been to visit motherclanger? You really need to do this in order to complete your risk assessment....sorry if you've already done so!

Hi Motherclanger

Colchester Zoo have health and safety guidlines http://www.colchester-zoo.co.uk/index.cfm?...ducation.safety

We follow these but also add on things like trips to the toilet, lunch anything where the ratio may change for a little while.

We also state that our ratio is higher than the government guide. We take our own first aid pack, wipe, change of clothes, calpol (with written parental permission to administer.) What you would do if the coach broke down (emergency contact tree.) That we take a small freezer bag with water and snacks in, incase of breaking down. Procedure for lost child (zoo staff, security and parent informed, two staff go to look the rest stay with the other children and keep them contained e.g. drawing. What you would do if a member of staff was taken ill?

Hope this helps

we are going to knowsley safari park week next wednesday. The committee have organised it and most parents taking their child, then some staff take children who's parents cant go, so I just do my risk assessment for those children. Theres 6 in all and 3 staff.

andrea

Thanks lou thats really helpful info. I'm going to Bristol zoo on thursday as yet we have only four children going on their own with five members of staff so shouldn't be too difficult ! Its the first time we have done a risk assessment for an outing but we have been to the zoo in the past (about two or three years ago)so know the layout etc. Unfortunately the zoo is about fourty miles away and I don't drive so haven't been able to go and visit, so will have to do a general risk assessment. Next time I think we will choose somewhere closer !