Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Training Day!

starsky

Hi everyone

I really hope you can help me!

On Saturday we are due to have a staff training day, my part of this is observation and assessment in the new EYFS. I was wondering if anyone has got any information they have shared with their staff team or any ideas for activities and order of the day. I was planning on doing a brief background on the EYFS then a discription of the 6 areas but after this i an stuck i know i want to include palnning sheets and learning journey observations!

I work in a day nursery setting therefore need the information to be relevant to a vast age group.

I really hope you can help

Thanks Claire x

Hi Claire

When I did an in-house training sesison of obs and ass in eyfs i lookded at what we do now and whether this met the guidlines in new document. And if not how could we change practice to meet them. Giving strong reasons as set out in eyfs why! good luck

Andrea

I can recommend Vicky Hutchin book Supporting Every Child's Learning Across the Early Years Foundation Stage. This is a very easy book to read and puts planning, observations and assessment in the context of the EYFS in a really user friendly way.

A possible way would be to use your principle into practice card (3:1) on observation, assessment and planning. You could summarise the points on the card and if you look on the back it has some reflection on practice questions that you may want to try and answer and feed back to the group asking their opinion.

In our setting we worked in pairs and each took a theme (4 groups) we looked at the principle into practice cards and tried answering the following questions on each principle:-

What are we doing now?

What could we do in the future?

We then collected evidence from around the setting (photo's, policies, training documents etc) and it has resulted in four folders of evidence with an action plan.

Good luck for Saturday.

Edited by denisse

You could also add in a few made-up observations of imaginary children, and ask your staff (maybe in pairs) to make some assessments based on the practice guidance document's development matters and look, listen and note columns. Ask them to write the assessment part, after reading the observations. We did this in our LA training, although we used video clips rather than written observations.

Also when talking about obs and assessment, try to make it clear to your staff what it's all for! Discussing the differences betwen formative and summative assessments is useful, and how you pass on information to colleagues within and outside your setting, eg when the child starts school. The use of observation and assessment in planning suitable activities should play a big part in your training too. :o

I've included some notes I made when I did training at a CC a couple of years ago. Some of it won't be of use because no doubt we have different methods of recording children's progress, but some of the other stuff may well help you.

Observation__assessment_and_planning_system.doc

Everyone

Thanks so far for all the advice, I have strated to feel a little more confident now. I started pieceing my notes together today and am definatly going to use the idea of pretend observations

Thanks again guys

Claire

Guest Wolfie

That's a very useful training document Helen - thanks for that! One question...your "Early Years Tracker" -what does that consist of, if you still have it?

Hi. I have attended a training for trainers day but we didn't use a quiz.I have heard lots about this quiz and how it helps you find your way around the pack. Has anyone got a copy or does anyone know where I can get a copy from? Thanks

Hi Starsky, I have spent this eve starting to put together something similar, we found info on teachernet with a downloadable powerpoint about EYFS which we have adapted, also going to show a 15 min prog from teachers TV (can be watched via the internet), thought this would be one way of showing the staff examples of things in action - this is for a school input on the Foundation stage and what its all about, but there maybe some suitable clips you could use for nursery?

Good luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)