Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Writing Focus Lesson Obseravtion

Hi,

I am hoping you wonderful people can help me as my brain is not in gear and I have a lesson observation with my Head on Thursday!!

We are learning about mini beasts and the children love the story of the very hungry caterpillar. My focus is a shared write showing how I use Read, Write to help children write?

I thought about doing a shared write for own hungry caterpillar stories and then getting the children to write their own.

Any ideas better than this or comments about this activity, especially making it exciting greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

I got my children to write their own versions of the story last week. They did a really good job. They sequenced pictures and stuck them into their own 'books'. Made a front cover and wrote a blurb. They then had a go at writing sentences to go with the pictures. Some of my poorer children only wrote 1 or 2 sentences, then I gave them captions to match to the rest of the pictures. Some of my better children were able to add in descrbing words. There was lots of "joosee" fruit! They did a fantastic job and really enjoyed making their own books- they were really able to apply all they had been doing with phonics over the year. For shared writing I just did a demo of writing sentence. Lots of talking partner work to discuss order, ideas for sentences etc etc. It took 2 weeks in the end but well worth it!

I got my children to write their own versions of the story last week. They did a really good job. They sequenced pictures and stuck them into their own 'books'. Made a front cover and wrote a blurb. They then had a go at writing sentences to go with the pictures. Some of my poorer children only wrote 1 or 2 sentences, then I gave them captions to match to the rest of the pictures. Some of my better children were able to add in descrbing words. There was lots of "joosee" fruit! They did a fantastic job and really enjoyed making their own books- they were really able to apply all they had been doing with phonics over the year. For shared writing I just did a demo of writing sentence. Lots of talking partner work to discuss order, ideas for sentences etc etc. It took 2 weeks in the end but well worth it!

Brilliant thanks made my idea see=m better knowing it has been successful! Where did you get the pictures from?

Thanks x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)