Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Protecting The Gift

I wanted to recommend Protecting the Gift by Gavin de Becker, to anyone who is interested!

I just read it and it has has a major impact upon my thinking. Essentially, it is about protecting children from all sorts of danger. (The part about gun safety is not particularly relevant to those of you in the UK, but makes interesting, hair-curling reading anyway!)

De Becker -a leading safety expert - dispels many of the myths about Stranger Danger and talks of how to raise children to be less likely to ever be abused or abducted. The strategies are mainly for older children than the early years, but there are many awareness-raising points for adults.

I think this is a 'must read' for all parents, although it can be a little harrowing in parts. I would also want to read it as a professional, just to raise my awareness of issues. For example, whenever I take children out now, I assess the adults around me more realistically - eg in a park, 'matching' adults to children. I am less concerned about 'being polite' to people who approach me, and more confident about what I'd do in a crisis.

In fact, I need to read it a second time to remind myself of all the key points! Maybe then I can come back with some more information. I took what was really meaningful for me in my situation, and everyone will be different.

An 'easy' read for the holidays, thought-provoking, sometimes disturbing, but if you read it, you'll feel a sense of accomplishment when you've done so.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)