Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm Back

beth1

I have got back off my holidays. I had a lovely time, weather was nice but occasional thunderstoms. Been to many places, upto the big city (cant spell the name) up into the mountains and to Mount Athos on a boat. I got back this afternoon to a rainy Manchester!

I have got back to find the preschool is a mess, losing quailfied staff left, right and centre! Any ideas on how to deal with a group of friends who seem to be having issues with (don't want to go into details), I feel like leaving too its that bad! I wouldn't care but I am the manager!

Beth

Hi Beth!

When you say the pre-school is a mess, it might be an idea to list for yourself;

1) what is not right

2) how has it changed

3) was it right before I went on hols

4) what is the most important thing to get right

Then, of course, you will need to list what you are going to do, but not all at once!!!!!!!!!

Take your time, it may be that it will sort itself for you, in some ways.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Sue

Welcome back, glad you had a good holiday!! :o I don't know if anyone else finds this but at our preschool staff are all tried and had a long and stressful year. :unsure: Conflicts do happen more easily when everyone is tired. Good luck!! Remember the good times!! Role on the 6 weeks holiday!! xD:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes:

Welcome back beth, glad you had a good holiday - what a shame to come back to chaos, good luck, I hope that you are refreshed enough to take it all on, deep breaths, smiles and find a cupboard to scream in! Don't forget we are all here for you lovey. :oxD

Guest Wolfie

Glad you had a lovely holiday - sorry about the situation you've come back to though, and hope you can resolve things. :o

Thanks for the positive comments espeecially Sue R just what I was looking for. I am sooo relaxed after the hols I have forgotten how to deal with things. Sorry I didn't mean a mess just I was tired last night from traveling, what I ment was everythings gone pear shaped with having very few staff in, which included closing on one day due to lack of staff to mainatian the ratios.

I already have a plan going to ask them to write one postive comment for each person. These will be given out at staff meeting on Tuesday. I think it all fell apart when I went on holidays, one thing is becoming obousis (sp) some staff respect me but not my deputy manger who for the last 2 weeks as been acting manager. Well they will not be having the powerpoint presentation on EYFS on the computer now (will give them a paperbased copy each), as I need to sort out theses issues first and foremost.

Beth

Edited by beth1

Nice to have yu back Beth1, and glad your hols have enabled you to have a chill out. :(

Good idea to start to address issues in a 'positive' manner. :(

Lorna has made a great powerpoint presentation re: EYFS, see HERE, aimed at parents but may be useful for you and save you some time.

As others have said, time of year, Summer term is when many employees within school/early years consider their positions, in my childrens Primary there are 3 teachers leaving and the school secretary, :oxD , due to many reasons including a change of headteacher, new opportunities offered, change of direction etc.

Do you remember your past management training?, group dynamics following change, you know the 'storming, norming' etc.

(see attached)

After you've done some basic 'forming' meetings as you have already planned, maybe then nearer the end of term try and get an agreed 'project' to start working on in September, something 'fun' that everyone will look forward to doing, maybe a 'makeover' of part of the nursery, a new format for a newsletter, a new approach, say for cooking activities, anything that inspires individuals interest, knowledge and skills.

Let us know how it goes, keep your chin up and enjoy the sunshine. :(

Peggy

FormStormNormPerform.pdf

Thanks for the advice peggy, we are at the 'storming' stage of the team hence the conficts we are having. Really good idea about a project I will ask them at the next staff meeting for idea, although with needed new staff in we may be back to the 'forming' stage of the team again.

Beth