Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fluidity From Eyfs To Ks1

Hi all,

Help! I am a EYFS teacher, newly promoted to EYFS manager and I need some ideas.

I think myself and the Year one teacher have made great waves when it comes to transistions from our 2 classes and have attended a few courses. We both undertake child initiated planning and the children have real ownership of learning. We aim to make things as smooth as possible for the children.

I have made sure that we do not do P Levels in our class and assessment is observation based and we constantly talk about the children to each other.....but...

How do other schools record assessmnet and track progress from the EYFS to KS1? Our only problem seems to be the paperwork? We have made our own version that looks at their scores at the end of the EYFS and predicted what they should be getting but does anyone have a system already in place? I know that it should not be just about the scores, levels and paperwork (preaching to the converted!) but its a necessity really.

What do other schools do?

At my school, Year 1 targets are set after they have started Year 1, rather than using the end of FSP results - not sure if that is what you meant though!

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the kind welcomes!

We still have targets at the end of year one to carry over to year 2 but because we are a small school we are being told that we have to show progress from year R and there seems to be no set procedure.

I feel they are completely different curriculums but there are obvious overlaps between EYFS maths and literacy and KSI how do we as a school show what a child at the end of the EYFS should be getting at KS1 Sats??? (personal views aside as I think we shouldnt!!)

Again thank u for making me feel welcome!

Clare.

Hi all,

Help! I am a EYFS teacher, newly promoted to EYFS manager and I need some ideas.

I think myself and the Year one teacher have made great waves when it comes to transistions from our 2 classes and have attended a few courses. We both undertake child initiated planning and the children have real ownership of learning. We aim to make things as smooth as possible for the children.

I have made sure that we do not do P Levels in our class and assessment is observation based and we constantly talk about the children to each other.....but...

How do other schools record assessmnet and track progress from the EYFS to KS1? Our only problem seems to be the paperwork? We have made our own version that looks at their scores at the end of the EYFS and predicted what they should be getting but does anyone have a system already in place? I know that it should not be just about the scores, levels and paperwork (preaching to the converted!) but its a necessity really.

What do other schools do?

sorry I click ed the wron gbutton and didint add the reply we have made a decision to track the EYFS and then the KS1 curriciulum in year 1 so that they have anew starting point and have finally stopped using the p scales which are no use at all. if you have time i would be really interested in seeing your s and the Y! planning as we are having a debate at school about how Y1 should work etc etc and I would like to have something to show our new teacher for Y1 as she is new to Y1 sorry to be a pain thank you Edited by magiccastle

Clare you are spot on! I have worked like this and visited schools that do the same and the children settle into Y1 so quickly and make excellent progress. We now take the principle into Y2 and everyone is on board. Children have challenges to work through and you can still plan from children's interests using the TASC wheel.

Keep it up.

Hi

Our own version has been set up by the three infant teachers at our school. Basically we have looked at the assessment guidance for the EYFS and used it as a rough guide to preidcting outcomes. For example a children who has scored 1 - 3 isnt quite where we need them to be and the likelyhood is they will need to continue with EYFS type work and will not be achieving the 1a and then 2b in yr1 and 2. if their scores are between 4 -7 then they have achieved well in the EYFS and so we would roughly expect them to do so in following years. 8 points would probably be an above average child and 9 is a def high achievier and odds are they have been doing some of the NC anyway.

there are exceptions (i think number is too easy!) And in all honestly for me there are more important things but that said there are links from the EYFS and KS1/2 and you are going to know if a child is going to continue doing well or will need continued supprt. We have also accepted there will be exceptions to the rule and at the end of the day they are DIFFERENT CURRICULUMS!!

what do people think?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)