Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Planning Obs, Topics Help Needed

I am new to this forum so I hope you can help me. I have just got a job as Nursery Manager of a small village pre school (16 children 2.5years-start school), I officially start in September. I have not worked since the birth of my first child 6 years ago!! so I have a lot to learn in a short time. The setting employs 2 other members of staff neither of whom have had any eyfs training or currently take any part in planning. I have many question to ask and don't really know where to start!. So I will put them in point form:

1. Planning: long term, short term, weekly - any help with planning sheets, how to set them out.

2. Topics: The pre school currently plans topics termly, my understanding of the eyfs is that planning should be around children's interests. Should I continue with topics or change it completely.

3. Observations: I thought I could observe target children each week (3 a week), how many obs do I need to do?. Does anyone have any obs examples?

4. Assessment : Again any advice, examples. What is required to be passed on to reception teacher?

As I am starting in September I feel I really need a head start as it is such a big task and at the moment I feel really daunted and panicky!! Thanks for reading.

Hi there,

Ive been teaching in Year R for a few years now and have in the last couple of years i've let the children plan for me!

The children select their own topic (therefore its bound to be of interset!) So far we have had dinosaurs, other countries, kings and queens and our current one 'on our holidays!' I then find different ways to stimulate converstaion, books, displays, the internet, a visit and then ask them what they a) want to find out and :o what they want to do

The results are amazing! I then link what they want to do do the objectives from the EYFS and the children have real ownership of learning. It keeps you on your toes as the planning changes constantly.

As for observations I do a real mix, sessions where i observe all the children undertaking child initiated work, observations of a selected activity and then I always have post its and my observation file to hand for those ones that take you by surprise! Like the time I heard one of my class discussing the theory of evolution...acurately!!!

Hope this helps?

Thanks for your reply, I really like the idea of letting the children plan and ditching topics. However as I am new to the setting i'm not sure how the staff and parents would react. Also how would I ensure they get a balanced curriculum if children's interests revolve around barbie and spiderman!! They still need to learn, for example, about people who help us and seasons. How does this fit in?

Sorry if this sounds very basic, I'm just trying to get my head around it all. T

Hi and welcome

You would be surprised how much barbie and spiderman know!! :o By having a selection of books displays etc the children will surprise you by leading the theme ok it may include barbie having to choose warm clothes as its snowing etc or barbie being a doctor but it all falls into place.

And with regards to your staff involve them in the planning and designate they will feel more valued and willing to follow your lead.You can contact you local PLA development officer for more advice on handling this issue and they will also advice you on your training with regards to the EYFS

good luck let us know how you get on !!

Thanks everyone for your replies, i've found loads of advice searching the forums and reading the articles. I think I now need to collate it all and decide where I would like to go. Once I am clear on it myself I can then approach the staff.

I'm sure I will think of more questions, but I really must get my kids ready for school now!!

Thanks Again for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Hi

I did have my doubts as to the children choosing but you really will be amazed! I wasnt too convinced about dinosaurs but by the time we measured them and weighed them (numercy), made them out of clay and junk (creative dev) Written Info sheets about them and a recount from our trip to the natural hist museum (literacy) moved like them (pd) dicussed how to take care of them (Psed) and looked at fossils (KUW) I had no doubts at all! These were all the kids ideas!

It does take a bit of getting used to and youy may do a bit of tweaking to fit the objectives but when you tell someone in the class that you are doing their idea the look on their face is worth it!

Clare.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)