Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childrens Centre Teacher - New Post

Hi Could anyone help. I have just ( nearly ) :o accepted a post as a childrens centre teacher on Soulbury pay scale. The scale offered is point 7. We are expected to work full time 36.66 hours per week and have 28 days holiday per year plus bank holidays.

Is this the same as others. What about your pension.

Please could someone clear this for me before I sign on the dotttted line!!

Guest Wolfie

Every single CCT position seems to be different - pay and conditions seem to be up to the individual centre/authority. I'm on teachers' pay and conditions!

As Wolfie says some authorities are thinking about the need for all year round work and so have dispensed with Teacher's pay and conditions. A friend of mine was interested in applying for a job on Solbury scale and sat down and worked out what the hourly rate was compared to teachers terms. She decided not to accept it as pro rata she would be on less pay, working longer hours and less holidays and also losing the benefits of the teachers pension. However as a children's centre teacher on teachers contract I know that it causes a lot of resentment and ill feeling that i have holidays when others are still working. Also it will mean that things that are up and running all stop for the hols if I am responsible for leading them - so food for thought. At the end of the day it's down to your personal feelings and circumstances about the job. I think it's something that needs addressing as it varies so much from place to place. Good luck with your decision.

Guest Wolfie

I agree with everything surfer says - however good your relationships are with other staff in the Centre, the fact that you are term time only causes a lot of problems.

As a centre is open full time then staff e.g. teacher should be full time. This surely should be universal and staff applying would be clear that those were the conditions. Anything else is divisive and unfair and surely would hinder team building and respect for all.

Guest Wolfie

I completely agree with you Chill. However, each authority and /or Centre seems to be approaching the appointing of a teacher differently.

Some authorities are using their existing body of advisory teachers to support Centres instead of each Centre appointing separately, other authorities are allowing Centres some autonomy in appointing a teacher but stipulating the overall terms and conditions of employment - that's what is happening in MY authority, i.e. all teachers to be appointed on teachers' pay and conditions. In other places, each Children's Centre has complete autonomy over the appointment.

I am on teachers pay and conditions through the nursery school where I used to work who set up a service level agreement with the children's centre.

As for holidays, I am very flexible. We are planning our summer activities now - we're running activities in the centre on three days a week and going on a trip on the fourth leaving one day for planning, preparation, evaluation etc. so I intend to work three days a week throughout the summer (apart from the two weeks I will be away). I will make up these days throughout the year when it is convenient for both myself and the centre. I actually enjoy having time off when schools are working as places are much less busy.

Hi there,

I'm on a teachers salary and working hours therefore get the same holidays as a school.

Good Luck

Harshy

Hi, well I've decide to go ahead with the post as it is really the job I want. However as Wolfie's friend said, on Soulbury the terms and conditions are worrying compared to teachers terms and conditions.

I have consulted the union about pay.Thanks for alll your support. I will keep you posted

:o Sunshine

I am .5 QT in a children's centre and .5 early years advisory teacher and am on Soulbury. It seems to work out that I get abour 3 weeks less holiday as I did when I was reception class teacher. As far as I am aware there is no change to my pension. But I haven't changed authority,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)