Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspiration Needed

Hi - any ideas gratefully recieved - i have a lesson obs next week - am in nursery - the obs is for an hour & the focus is writing - our current theme is people who help us but unfortunately we have just spent 3 weeks on the post office - so can't do that one!!! I have a few ideas for the focused teaching sessions (x 3 groups - 13 chdn in each - 20 mins max)

1. Have different 'hats' wrapped up - pass them round the circle - discussing what they feel like etc - then chdn have set of laminated labels with pics of different people who help us on - they choose the label they think matches the hat & write the 'job' on it ie: firefighter - hold it up - the hat is opened to reveal the hat/label - were they right?? (also links to KUW)

2. Outdoor area - chdn work in pairs - have to find pics of 'equipment' to match to each person ie - firefighter - they would have to find ladder / hose / water / fire engine / hat - attach to sheet with firefighter pic on & then write what it is by the side???? (also links to PD/KUW)

3. Children have to listen to 4clues recorded on tape - what job does this person do? they have a laminated A3 sheet numbered 1/2/3/4 - write down what they think the job of the person is after listening to the clues. After all 4 - pics revealed - did they write the right answer????

What do people think of these for the focused teaching sessions??? All feedback gratefully recieved & any additional ideas also . . . .

many tahnks.

I like your ideas for the teaching activities ... but will the children be able to write what is required? Or will they just have a go? Not having taught nursery I don't know, but just wondered!

Hi could you set up a doctors surgery - the children could have a go at writing prescriptions, clip boards, receptionist writes down messages, appointments, make labels for the patients, nurses etc on card and then just punch and use string to tie it around their necks. Get resources of sparkle box, to make sure the words are available for the children to copy. Good luck

Thanks for the responses - i will definatly check out sparklebox for examples of signs etc. In response to your question purplemagic - the chdn would just be mark making - with the focus being on using lines/shapes (some will be using recognisable letters from their name within this) & developing the understanding that writing carries a meaning/message. Any other suggestions greatfully recieved. xxxxx

I'm a nursery teacher who is being observed on Writing too...it must be in the air! I've decided to go with a Birthday theme and have the children write their names/mark make on invitations, envelopes and birthday cards........don't know if I'm on the right lines though as I'm new to nursery this year. Good luck with your observation!

Yeah - those activities are along the same sort of lines as usual planning - just hoping they will be active enough - trying to keep the VAK approaches in & mindful that writing needs to be focus. Was going to start the session with all 3 groups doing either actrion raps or write dance moves too (we do both of these as part of daily routine usually - so chdn are used to them ) But am just panicing - does it sound ok???

Also - any suggestions for independent activities that could be put out for chsdn to go to after - thought about setting up a fire engine with large wooden bricks outside - with the hats we have & clipboards - to encourage the boys to become engaged in some writing!!! Will have shaving foam in trays etc too.

Then need to think about my focus activity for after teaching session - was contemplating getting chdn to help me make our own big book about people who help????

Wish the weekends werent taken up with work!!!! :o

Thanks for the responses - keep them coming - this site is so supportive!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)