Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Show And Tell

Advice please We have registration/circle time half an hour after the children come into the setting after initial freeplay

My children at our setting get really involved with show and tell, normally stand up and show their jumper, cuddly toy, hairband as well as ocassionally some individual things from their weekend travels.

The thing is, whilst Im delighted that they want to come up and talk and its great for their self esteem and confidence, I feel that the children are sitting for too long as the majority come up to have "their moment", on one occassion, all children were up and there was none on the carpet to be shown.

Could you tell me what you do at your settings and any advice, do you agree that show and tell is important or should I reduce the time, or only have it a couple of times a week.

I think show and tell is an excellent learning opportunity. Can you possibly have it in smaller groups each member of staff taking groups or in circle time throughout the session? It could be perhaps twice a week the other times you could perhaps have something of interest. for eg. we have done the 'magic shape bag' in our small circle time today. We have a ' show and tell bag' it the supervisors turn today.

i once saw a 'show and tell' basket the teacher had on a rope pully from the ceiling WOW :o Still plucking up the courage to ask the committee to install one!!

We do our 'show and tell' at the end of the session/just before lunch. On lunch days most of the youngest children go home at the moment so it seems to work ok and not everyone brings something in to show anyway.

We generally have at least one member of staff in the area to support the younger/more fidgety ones if they are there.

But we don't always get time to do it every day, we also celebrate birthdays at this time and sometimes we just have our session in the garden so 'show and tell' has lost something by the end of the session!

Rachel

We used to do Show and Tell on a Friday and the children loved bringing in their things to show their friends. However, once the group got bigger we split up into 2 groups so that the whole thing didn't take as long. :o

We tend to share items of interest/ news whilst in the circle for register time. The thing children like to share most though tends to be "baddies" - it starts with one showing their grazed knee and before you know it we've all got our trouser legs up inspecting bruises and sore toes!! I'm sporting a nice scratch from the rabbit (fought a bit when the vet was clipping his teeth!) and an iron burn on my left wrist). We obviously have quite goulish children!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)