About Us
Tapestry

Gardening Club

Hi all

i am wanting to set up a gardening club in my school. Ideally a would like:

an area for wild flowers

an area for growing food

a plant area

an area with some kind of seating - maybe to use as a circle time area in nice weather

an area to make a sound path

an area for bird houses etc...

I was wondering if anyone had set one up in their school.

I would be very greatful for any other ideas you may have or tips.

Also if anyone knows of any funding which might be available.

Many thanks

Lola x

Guest Wolfie

Mundia's the one you want here...she's well known on the forum for her gardening expertise! I'm sure she'll be along soon.... :o

Our school has the most beautiful wildlife garden. It has a very large pond with waterfall and bridge (ducks too!!), bird tables, trees, plants etc. We got funding from a local company and it was very expensive but it is a fantastic resource.

We also have an allotment area, with little green houses, vegetable plots etc and the gardening club is on a thursday after school until 4.30pm. This was mainly funded with a Healthy School grant I believe!! The children love it, some children don't have gardens or the chance to dig, plant and grow. Go for it!! It is a very rewarding.

There's a great resource on here with a growing calendar to fit in with the school year , it says what to do each term and what to grow when so that things aren't just blooming in the summer holidays! I also just bought a book from the Guardian called 'Playground Potting Shed' which is similar. I'm getting all my ideas together to really get this going next year, too - we'll have to keep in touch on here and share photos etc of how we're getting on!

• 2 weeks later...

I run a gardening club on a Tuesday lunchtime. We didn't recieve any funding but our very handy caretaker built us some raised beds using wood planks and then I asked parents to donate leftover seed/plants etc. We began our club in March and have been able to sell produce since May. All proceeds will be reinvested into the kitty for resupplying us with seeds. I also went to the local garden centre who very generously donated packets of veg and flower seeds. Parents have snapped up the veg the minute it goes on sale and the kids love the fact they are providing the goods! We have a selection of herb, flower and veg beds already and I am hoping to purchase a greenhouse with the help of the PTFA next year. :o Hope this helps you to see you don't need vast sums of money to get your club off the ground. Best of luck and enjoy the fruits of your harvest.

What a great idea for the children to see their planting come to harvest and then to sell it to parents. We are getting ready to harvest our crop of potatoes and can hardly contain the children in their excitement.

We are, however, looking forward to scoffing the lot! :o

There's a great resource on here with a growing calendar to fit in with the school year , it says what to do each term and what to grow when so that things aren't just blooming in the summer holidays! I also just bought a book from the Guardian called 'Playground Potting Shed' which is similar. I'm getting all my ideas together to really get this going next year, too - we'll have to keep in touch on here and share photos etc of how we're getting on!

definately i will get some pics up when we are up and running

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)