Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Linking Sounds And Letters Scale Point 4

Hi, another moderating question - hope someone can help me out!

I've looked through lots of exemplification from different authories but I still can't work it out.

LS&L Point 4 says:

Child links sounds to letters, naming and sounding letters of the alphabet.

so...would you expect children to know both the sounds (s, j) as well as the names (ess, jay) to mark off this point?

The examples given in the handbook say

Victoria brings in some objects to go on the ‘interest’ table. ‘I’ve brought a doll, a die

and a picture of my Dad’, she explains.

The children play the game ‘Noisy Letters’. The practitioner gives each child a letter,

and the children attempt to find the other child(ren) who have been assigned the same

letter by saying their letter sound out loud.

Which doesn't even mention knowing the names of the letters, but I've also seen an example from a Local Authority saying

P and T were at the alphabet washing line outdoors. They were taking it in turns to point to the letters and say both the name and sound each letter. They did this correctly for all the letters except X for which they only said the name of the letter.

This seems to suggest they need to be able to name most of the letters.

What do you think???

Thanks!

This was brought up again at moderation this year. The answer is yes to both sounds and names. As for the number, it's more than not. Our adviser suggests that once children have begun to get the idea and can name at least half then they quickly grasp the rest.

Hope this helps. As an aside, I wonder whether this is why Phase 3 of letters and sounds has learning the names?

Harricroft

The additonal guidance sent out by the national assessment agency last year says-

" Communication, Language and Literacy: Linking sounds and letters: scale point 4:

To attain the scale point children need to be able to name and sound more letters than not. Children need to be confident in letter naming and sounding in a variety of contexts, especially self-initiated activities. Children must demonstrate the ability to name and sound letters of the alphabet.

Children need to be able to accurately link the letter shape with its sound and name. The letters required should represent more letters than not, and focus on those commonly used in their names and frequent words in the environment (such as shop names, logos and signage)."

Don't know if that's any help?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)