Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can Anyone Help With Some Initials?

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

Not sure if this is in the right place but here goes. I've just had a phone call from the reception teacher at our feeder school. She had been to a training session/ meeting for Foundation stage moderators and it was mentioned that there was one un-named PVI child in my playgroup. She thought it was to do with the child going straight in to year 1 but would have to be moderated at the foundation stage.

The only thing that I could think of was Private, Voluntary and Independent but that can't be it. Sooo do any of you lovely people know what this means?

Thank you in advance,

Mary

Being one of the PVI sector myself, I've never heard these initials used in any other context. Sorry. And I don't think any of my alternative definitions would be constructive...

Maz

Hi - why don't we all use full words any more - at a recent meeting I had to ask what on earth people were talking about, it was as if I was listenning to another language - its bad enough understanding my 16 year old daughter who

abreviates everything ! :o Dot

I'm sorry Mary, I don't know of anything else it could be either. It seems to me that someone along the line has used the wrong initials - perhaps as Dot says they should have just said what they meant as using initials can often cause confusion.

did a google, not much help :( see here - definitions of PVI

I added Private, Voluntary, Independent to the list. xD

Does your feeder school have a nursery?

Maybe the child from your group, who is different due to going to Y1, was described as PVI because she comes from your (PVI) setting, compared to a school nursery? In other words, the term PVI was used in the context of where the childs coming from within the discussion. Maybe the person, using a known child as an example, who bought up the matter of her still needing to be moderated at foundation stage, wanted to keep your setting name confidential so used the term PVI?????? :o (Does that make sense?)

ie: instead of saying " A 'Rainbows Preschool' child entering at Y1...................................", she's said "A PVI child entering at Y1....................................."

Peggy

Guest MaryEMac

Thanks everyone for your input. We think that we have sussed it. Last year I enrolled a child who could have gone to school but mum didn't think that she was ready. I don't think that mum was ready to let her go, but that is another story. Anyway to cut a long story short, I persuaded this mum to see if her daughter could start at her village school at easter this year. She is now going to school in the next village (where she lives). Her information was probably taken from the Early years and children service and it would state that she was registered at our group.

Peggy, we are the only group to feed into the school and every other school who were due to have a child going straight into yr1, missing reception, were given the name of the child.

I do agree Dot, people use too many initials and assume that everyone else knows what they mean.

Mary