Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pirate/seaside Observation

I am being observed next Thursday for performance managment. I know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic and have used loads from previous posts on pirate activities and got lots of ideas that have been using this week. Was wondering if anyone had a real WOW activity/lesson up their sleeve that they wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks very much.

Edited by Guest

We're currently doing pirates for book week. This lesson worked really well - our class dog who is there if you're feeling sad went missing!!! the class quickly got up and went searching but we found he had been dognapped by a pirate who'd left a message for the class - we then talked about what we could do and came up with leaving a message for anyone who saw him to let us know - I then taught the children about ' Wanted posters ' and that's what we made these we then posted round school. Those that weren't writing then spent half the time telling me they had seen Pirate Red beard outside and could hear his footsteps!! I sent further messages from him durng the day saying the new pirate dog was having a great time and a photo and tomorrow we're goiing on a treasure hunt to find him !! Several children have written their own letters to him amd two girls were jumping up and down to find their message had been taken from the bottle they had put it in - it's certainly proved very motivational ! :o

How much is it Pirate focussed and how much seaside focus? Could you get away with some real fish to explore?

I can second the impact of the lost class toy stimulus. We 'lost' our teddy, made posters, eventually the secretary came down after a few days saying she'd found her that morning waiting outside the front door. The children did the most amazing story writing of their ideas of her adventures while she was missing - we read 'On the Way Home' as well and then the planning developed into this whole adventurous teddy bear thing. The day she was found, one little boy kept going back to her special shelf every so often throughout the day as he was really concerned and protective over her. And the idea of tying it in with pirates sounds fab! The initial session with the ransom letter would be really impressive for an observation as the children would instantly be really involved and would readily come up with their own ideas and suggestions of what might have happened and make plans as to what should be done now. Great speaking and listening!

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)