Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Olympics Theme

Does anyone have any simple ideas on the theme of Olympics? I am a nursery teacher and I just a need a couple of activities based on this theme. We will be having a mini Olympics at the end of the week where they will take part in simple physical games.

could you have wellie wanging to replace the javelin?

shot put could be done the same but with soft balls

as for he hurdles you could put a line of simple hurdles in their path made from bamboo canes and plastic milk bottles with sand in them to weight them down. The cane could balance through the handles.

As for the marathon well you could leave them to run around the playground until they drop while you pop inside for a cuppa :o

ooops sorry just reread your thread and it looks like you need ideas for activities rather than the actual 'games'.

What about making gold silver and bronze medals from salt dough then painting them with metallic paints and threading a ribbon through them. I suppose to make it more co-operative everyone should be a gold :o

There is an official Olympic Games website - www.olympic.org.uk/uk - where you can find out the history of the games and see famous Olympic pictures.

The key message of the games is one of friendship & peace. This is reflected in the Olympic flag, which has 5 interlocking coloured rings. The "O" shape for Olympic and each coloured ring represents 1 of the 5 major continents of the world. They are interlocking as a sign of friendship and unity amongst those taking part.

Perhaps you could make your own rings/flag? Find the continents on a map or globe? Make Olympian medals for all those taking part? Link to the paralympics for disabled athletes?

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)