Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Space

My class have expressed an interest in learning about stars, the moon, space (or 'the universe!' as one bright spark described it proudly to everyone else!).

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas fo activities to set up (child initiated enhancements I suppose, although if I have set them up they will obviously have been initiated by me .. but anyway, activities for the children to choose to do if they wish!)

So far, I have thought of (or borrowed ideas from others!):

- supplying black paper and various materials to make space pictures with chalks, playdough for adding planets to space pictures, star printing, blow painting, marble painting with fluorescent paint

- card and silver foil for making space helmets

- parachutes

- making coloured glasses and using to explore their 'new' planet - if I can find coloured stuff for the lenses!!

and now I'm stuck! :o

Thanks for any help,

purple x

i helped out at my friends nursery the other day and their topic was space, they were making space rockets out of clay and the role play area was transformed into a space ship ( telephone box and black card with space shapes in silver!) and they had plastic colinders for helmets!! they also used bubble wrap and space men in the activity tray creating a moon!

The story 'Whatever Next' and subsequent role play (provide a cardboard box and a colendar (sp?).You could make star biscuits/planet biscuits, black playdough with glitter, junk model rockets. Lots of opportunities for counting back to blast off. Creating moon surface in sand tray - playing with moon vehicles, small world people.

On Saturday, Channel 4 8p.m. there's a documentary about the Apollo missions - it might be worth copying this and showing clips - it MUST include the landing, I'm guessing you could get some role play or dance type ideas from this - walking in moon boots!

There was some planning on space on the Hamilton Trust website - not been on recently and don't know whether you can access it for free or if you have to pay for this.

Harricroft

Guest Wolfie

"The Aliens are Coming" is a good story for a Space theme, but I can'r remember the author..... :o

and when we did it, all of the above, plus we bought some authentic spacefood from NASA (though I believe you can buy it over here.........natural history museum??/),and it was wonderful stuff!

and don't forget........................aliens LOVE underpants!! :o

How about play doh aliens, green play doh, google eyes, metalic pipe cleaners that they can cut up and stick in. Blob aliens - green paint can be squirted onto a piece of card, fold it and they can use their hands to push the paint inside to make the shape, google eyes, pipe cleaners and pom poms can be used to add detail.

Man on the Moon story with a link to time, 5 little aliens - could make some numbered space ships using paper bowls and clear pots on the top, number them for a song sac. Bubble wrap prints in clay to make a moon surface.

Rocket experiements, space food angel delight in zip lock bags.

I love space sj

How about play doh aliens, green play doh, google eyes, metalic pipe cleaners that they can cut up and stick in. Blob aliens - green paint can be squirted onto a piece of card, fold it and they can use their hands to push the paint inside to make the shape, google eyes, pipe cleaners and pom poms can be used to add detail.

Man on the Moon story with a link to time, 5 little aliens - could make some numbered space ships using paper bowls and clear pots on the top, number them for a song sac. Bubble wrap prints in clay to make a moon surface.

Rocket experiements, space food angel delight in zip lock bags.

I love space sj

Hi was wondering what the children do with the angel delight in the ziploc bag....think i am being dense but need some help.

thanks alot

maariya

The reception teacher at my school got the children to use paper mache to make a moon scape for the small world play. They also had space books to write about the planets they saw and where they had been in outer space.

Angel delight - Add the powder and milk etc in a ziplock bag, the children can use their hands to mix it, put in the fridge for a while then cut off a corner and they can eat it through the hole like a space man, got the idea from everthing preschool.com, some great ideas on there.

SJ

When we did space I sprayed a couple of little tykes crazy coupes silver for space buggies and also some JCB helmets. We had covered them in tin foil last time but it didn't last. We also have a moon surface which was made many years ago by sticking boxes, yoghurt pots etc etc onto a piece of thin hardboard. It was all covered in white paper and then some silver paper added and glitter. It has gone on for years each time we get it out it gets 'sproused up'. Our children love the book Aliens love underpants. Sure you'll have a great time.

Anne

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)