Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safe Needles And Suitable Fabric For 4/5 Yr Olds?

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me. Our theme for next half term is Bears, looking at Goldlilocks and The Three Bears for 2 wks. I want the ch. to create their own teddies, but i am having diffiucluty finding a needle which is safe enough and easier enough to pierce felt. I have tried tapestry needles, but a fair bit of pressure is requried for an adult so i am thinking too difficult for children. I am now considering chaning my material.

Any suggestions would be very grateful!!

Thanks in advance

lydzzy

We use felt and embriodery needles and embroidery threads (needs seperating into strands) with Reception children at Christmas to make a tree hanging and all the children managed.

The needles I used were from Woolworths or any good needlework shop... around size 24 if I remember correctly. They are sharper than tapestry needles so go through the felt well but are not sharp enough to cause damage to the children.

I have now used them for around 4 years with maybe one or two stabbed fingers and the children are always so proud of their sewing.

Hope that helps

L

We use felt and embriodery needles and embroidery threads (needs seperating into strands) with Reception children at Christmas to make a tree hanging and all the children managed.

The needles I used were from Woolworths or any good needlework shop... around size 24 if I remember correctly. They are sharper than tapestry needles so go through the felt well but are not sharp enough to cause damage to the children.

I have now used them for around 4 years with maybe one or two stabbed fingers and the children are always so proud of their sewing.

Hope that helps

L

Thankyou Lorna,

I will give that whirl when back next week. I am being observed for the lesson (NQT) year so i definitely will do a few prototypes!

Thanks again

and theconsortium sell plastic needles which are really good, especially for working on fabrics such as Binca, but they do work well on felt (they also sell a pack of felt bears, with holes for threading, already punched along the sides, though I've never bought them so don't know how big they are etc)

and theconsortium sell plastic needles which are really good, especially for working on fabrics such as Binca, but they do work well on felt (they also sell a pack of felt bears, with holes for threading, already punched along the sides, though I've never bought them so don't know how big they are etc)

Many thanks... it has been a mission finding the right sized needles, i did buy some plastic needles last year and i can't remember where i've 'safely' stored them. Will no doubt find them after finishing this project.

Not sure what needles I use with mine- we have a huge box at school that I have to sort through before I start! I always try and pick on ones that are farily sharp. I haven't really had anyone hurt themselves- I often ask them to test how sharp the needles are before they start. That way they know what they are in for if they're not careful!

As long as you've risk assessed Bethie!!!!! xD:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes:

i agree :o- we use big plastic needles and punch hole the felt fabric!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)