Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Not Health & Safety Again...........

Did anyone else listening to the radio yesterday hear about Essex Council who have banned bunting from fairs and celebrations? Also, someone referred to new advice to parents that all paddling pools in gardens should have a lifeguard...... What is the world coming to?

not heard this one it beggars belief, what is the world coming to? When we have open days e.t.c we can no longer have bouncy castles just in case someone injures themselves and sues. Ufortunatley we now live in a culture of litigation I think a lot of it is down to this no win no feel culture, I know at times litigation is the correct way to go but sometimes it is taking too far. What will be next???

The bunting thing does seem a little bonkers and has probably come about by over zealous councillors who don't have a good understanding of risk assessment. (This is one of my pet hates - people who don't understand the difference between a risk and a hazard or how to measure them!) However, just to be slightly nitpicky they didn't actually ban the bunting, but put forward a list of restrictions and requirements associated with putting them up. :o

The paddling pool thing I suspect is a red herring. There was a story a few years back about a council banning villagers from putting a large paddling pool on the village green during the summer because the council would be liable if a child was hurt or drowned, and without a lifeguard they could not guarantee this would happen. The parents argued that the children would be well supervised by them (have you all seen how well parents supervise children on outings/at the park etc? xD ) In this instance I think that since the hazard was very high (death being the greatest hazard of all) they were probably justified. :(

Hi All - well glad to have picked up this one - we have not been bee accepting egg boxes and toilet rolls - we all believed the myth - so we can all make loads of things out of egg boxes again !!! - thanks a very daft Dot :o

Thanks for the link Surfer I have always thought it was nuts not to use egg boxes and spent ages trying to find someone who knew where 'it' came from, am going to hang the poster on our health and safety board tomorrow and get the egg boxes out!! :o

Portsmouth Council have stopped a lady who every year puts her big paddling pool on the front lawn for the neighbourhood children to use. they have stopped her becuase it was not manned and older children 5+ age used to use it on their own. Also it was on counil land as she was a tenant and they have told her that she would need insurance and have some one there all the time.

People have moaned about the bureacracy but can you imagine if we put a paddling pool out without it being manned and insurance!!!!!!!!! even if it is used by older children.