Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Underpinning Legislation?

I wonder if any of you kind and clever people can help stop me going in circles?

I am currently updating our policies after a period of consultation in the pre-school. Our local authority has kindly provided a framework for each policy they believe we should have, but true to form they started a job and kinda forgot to finish it properly! They would like us to cite relevant legislation for every policy, but as so many pieces relate to more than one I am proposing we list all the relevant Acts at the beginning of the policies, and this will have the added advantage of cutting down the whole policy book to a length more likely to be read by the parents.

Now to where I need help. The LA has, as I say, provided a framework but they clearly ran out of steam halfway through, as certain Acts are mentioned in different policies but their titles change as do their dates. I wonder does anyone have a clear list of the relevant legislation which underpins the EYFS and current practice. Even if it isn't exhaustive it would be a huge help to me as I keep finding more related legislation every time I Google one mentioned by the LA and I am starting to go around in circles. I would like to finish this in the next few days so I can get on with the rest of the mountain that half term has brought me! Oh and then I might spend a little time with my children too! :o

Hi Holly - I am going to get an up to date copies of policies from PLA - hopefully they have all the legisltation in there - i now you have to pay a bit for it, but by the time I spend doing it probably around 40 hours later, it could well be money well spent - Dot

Hi dot. Do you know when the updated one is available?

I was going to order that when I saw that they intended to update it for the EYFS and wanted to wait for that as we have the issue before the current one and can not access the website for updates due to that. I didn't want to buy one which was going to be usurped in a month or so. Time pressure is also that we are having AGM in 2 weeks and we could do with having the policies updated for then.

Hi dot. Do you know when the updated one is available?

I was going to order that when I saw that they intended to update it for the EYFS and wanted to wait for that as we have the issue before the current one and can not access the website for updates due to that. I didn't want to buy one which was going to be usurped in a month or so. Time pressure is also that we are having AGM in 2 weeks and we could do with having the policies updated for then.

Your CDO should be updating you with info about this

Sorry is CDO Community Development Officer?

We have a development officer from the local authority but it is she who has done half a job along with her colleagues. We don't have anyone locally who advises us from the PLA and have to contact them through the national contact centre. I have emailed them regarding the publication date but received no response.

Hi all,

I am just REALLY impressed that your LEA is doing any of this. Although ours has improved greatly and we have a fab CDO, we have to find all this information out for ourselves. We don't even get a list or framework for what Policies and procedures are required.

I used Devon.gov.uk as they have a fantastic Early Yaers info site.

As for legislation - if I hadn't have been studying for a Foundation degree (alomost finished) I wouldn't have had a clue about most legislation.

Data Protection 1998

Children Act 1989, 2004

Childcare Act 2006

Equality Act 2006

UN Convention Rights of a Child

The Disability Act 1995 (2005)

The Sex Discrimination Act 1975 (1986),

Special Educational Needs Code of Practice 2001

Disability Act 1995,

Race Relations Act 1976,

Gender Recognition Act 2004,

Employment Equality Regulations 2003.

The Equal Pay Act 1970 (1984)

The Employment Equality Regulations 2003

Age Discrimination Act 2006

Rehabilitation of offenders Act 1974,

The Education Act 2002

Granted some of these will not be required for day to day policies relating to children but they will apply to Staffing Policies, recruitment policies etc etc etc

Hope this is of some help

Net x

:o

Hi - re PLA policies - I was told these have been already up-dated in line with EYFS in September - I asked my development officer about policies, and she did not think anything had to change xD I was a little surprised - will be ordering mine directly from them this week. Dot :o

Have decided to be very brave and send my first message - just hope it works! I am very grateful to all those who post on the forums, and am in awe of all the knowledge and support that can be found on this site.

Not sure if it is any help to the present query but I have recently been looking at past Nursery World articles, and under a series of 'policies and procedures' (7 Sept 2006 - 23 August 2007), Laura Henry has listed main policies and procedures required and she has made links to Every Child Matters and links to legislation and key guidance. I thought they might be of some use on which to base legislation - fingers crossed! Her series 'Work matters: Welfare requirements' might be of use as well. I will try to attach a copy of one of each to show as an example.

Work_matters_Welfare_requirement1.docxRight_and_wrong.docx

Thank you sooo much to everyone. I knew that somewhere there had to be a list like those posted above, but in my fuzzy head I just could not find it at all. I had a strong idea of a lot of it as I am doing EYPS at moment but there is so much to do for that and work I can't put it all together yet and make sense of it. I am hoping that will all come together over the next few weeks.

Dot - My reason for caution on ordering the policies from PLA was that if you look at the sample pages on the current publication it says there they will be updated for September 2008. It mentions a date of June 08 when I looked again but as yet I have had no reply from the email I sent. I might try ringing them and then ordering the current one if your information is right. As you say it will save hours.

net franklin - thank you for your help also. The idea behind the LA doing this is good but they never quite pull it off in terms of complete efficiency. The idea is great and they start with good intentions but then fade out halfway through. I think from looking at the frameworks again it is either based on inclusion training the LA staff had to take or part of their QA scheme. Frankly it turns out to be more frustrating when they do half a job than if they hadn't bothered at all, especially when they then ask why you didn't use the things they sent. They always seem to be very puzzled when you explain it wasn't complete/didn't fit with your setting/ etc.

Hi Claire - re pla policies - when my colleague looked last week they said they were up-dated ready for sept new EYFS - but we should cross check to make sure they have all that is needed and have covered all legislation.

Hi Mia - and welcome to the forum - as in a previous life I worked in the legal profession, it has been really great to find this forum - good also to be able to ask questions and get such wonderful advice, I am sure you will find it very interesting. Dot :o

Hi dot - just wanted to let you know I got a reply from the PLA today saying they were revising the policies for EYFS and they would be available from September. They will take pre-orders over the summer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)