Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Descriptive Language In Reception

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a bank of descriptive language to model for Reception children. We are doing a whole school target ativity to promote the use of descriptive language in our children. We started off yesterday by getting the children to describe 'their' giant from Jack and the Beanstalk. They really struggled, and so did I!!! All they really suggested was boggies and slime, whereas the class next door came out with octopus legs hair, banana mouth, traffic light eyes, cherry tomato nose... what went wrong with my class??? Could anybody help me with how they promote descriptive language please? Or if you know where to look? Thanks very much!

Tash X

Have a look at the "Wow up your words" resources on the Lancashire website - some are generic ideas for across school, but there are some lovely ideas for taking into a reception class, or at least that could be adapted.

http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrateg...category_id=327

Tracylu :o

The actual figures escape my memory, but there is a fact I heard that up to a certain age (I think it's about 3 or 4, but might have been even younger than that) most of our vocabulary comes from speech, thereafter, the majority of new vocabulary is from books.

Edited by Guest

When i do descriptive language with my reception children it is difficult as the children have poor language skills. Therefor the adult has to do most of the modelling. To introduce it we use a range of things and start with words that the children come out with. I used smelly sea weed, jelly, mud etc. That created a fantastic bank of 'wow' words. I hope this helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)