Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Music Experts Out There?

Guest lesboyle

Guest lesboyle

Hi everyone

This is such a fab site! I dont know how I have managed without it. Have been invited to an interview next week and asked to do a music lesson with 15 preschool children. Havent actually been in the classroom for a couple of years and so am feeling a bit nervous about getting back in the saddle. Does anyone have any ideas for a simple lesson to do with 3-4 year olds? (Have children's centre interview before this one, so hoping I will not have to go through with it, but it's always best to be prepared dont you think?)

Many thanks

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

I've just come back from a conference so am a bit fuzzy headed, but couldn't resist answering this one :o

After settling the children into a circle (sitting on mats or cushions if poss.) I would include:

1) A hello song of some sort

2) A couple of familiar nursery rhymes

3) A rhythmic activity (clapping names, stamping feet, etc. or if you have access to instruments, use unpitched ones like rhythm sticks, tambours, woodblocks etc

4) Something with different vocal sounds (see below)

5) Some movement (either an action song or two, or moving to recorded music: have you got access to ribbons or scarves?)

6) Finger/action rhymes (eg Miss Polly had a dolly)

7) Finish with a goodbye song

Playing with vocal sounds:

Adult says (in an appropriate voice): "Have you brought your whispering voice with you today?"

Children say "Yes we have, yes we have" (also in the appropriate voice)

The different voices you can use are endless, and I find the children come up with allsorts!

examples are:

witchy, fairy, robot, loud, squeaky, soft, grumpy, tired.

Our children love this one. xD

Playing with vocal sounds:

Adult says (in an appropriate voice): "Have you brought your whispering voice with you today?"

Children say "Yes we have, yes we have" (also in the appropriate voice)

The different voices you can use are endless, and I find the children come up with allsorts!

examples are:

witchy, fairy, robot, loud, squeaky, soft, grumpy, tired.

Our children love this one.

Ours love this too.They also like using 'Beat baby' If you've ever heard of that.

http://www.educationalpublications.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=76

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)