Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Can Statements

Guest jane heald

Guest jane heald

Hi

Just interested to see if anyone is thinking along the same lines as us or whether we are barking up the wrong tree...just need some people to bounce an idea off. We don't have a nursery at our school and have one straight class of F2. Each child has what we call a special book. In this book we stick all our observations, photographs, comments and the children can stick in work and parents write in them too. This is a great record of the children's learning but doesn't give a clear idea to parents or children of where their learning is going. So... we thought we could develop I can statements from the EYFS. In order to make this managable we have highlighted all the areas we will cover and "teach" through our daily routines. This has left us with a series of statements we could break down into I can statements to cover key skills. We thought this would help parents know next steps and children. Basically my question is has anyone already done this and if so did it work..or what do you think as an idea?

Thanks

Jay

Hi there,

A long, long time ago when I first began working with early years children before we got all stressed out about forms and so on, we had a flower shape outline drawn on an A4 page and each petal had a statement in it such as I can put on my coat, I can write my name, etc. For each child we would colour in the appropriate petal, either completely if they could do that activity without difficulty or hesitation, or partially depending upon their proficiency. It was a great way to record in a non-threatening, non-judgmental way and you could always add a little more colour as the weeks passed. Hope this helps!

Lesley

Hi - such a lot of work for you all to do in reception - we do a scrap book type book in our pre-school and I have typed up all eyfs development matters in an easy format. When each development matters is accomplished this is highlighted so we can see where they need to move to. We have found that splitting their work into various areas causes confusion as each observation crosses over to so many different areas of learning. However, you need to find a format that works for you and sometimes creating new ways enables you to develop to what will work - goog luck Dot :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)