Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Identity

Hi

Can anyone give me some ideas on activities i can do with 2 year olds. I'm being observed for my college course so need to come up with something that is linked to their self identity and recognising difference... have loads of ideas for the older children but she wants to observe a 2 yr old session...... oh dear!!!!!! Any ideas much appreciated....

Once we made 'life' size models of the children and hung them on the wall,(aut term getting to know you theme), you need a photo of each childs face, an outline drawing of their body and lots of scrap material / wool etc to add the clothes, It's good for children to choose which materials they want for their clothes, one boy asked for a spiderman outfit!! :o The children would often look at them, comment about who they were next to, differences in appearance etc.

Also made toilet roll puppets, they used these around the play area, sometimes playing with one of a friend who was absent (for example), we made a pretend TV out of a box and they chose to use the puppets for TV characters. ( a follow on from the autumn term theme getting to know you.

Peggy

post-3604-1210795630_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1210795712_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1210795741_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1210795783_thumb.jpg

Just like to add, use lots of photo's of the children for displays, they love to 'look at themselves' at play, on outings etc.

Ooh, another idea is the Hand print poem, including a photo of childs face. Also height charts, place a photo of childs face at relevant height. So, if you haven't got one already, maybe invest in a digital camera xD

But beware, they are addictive, I must have at least a million preschool photo's. :o:(

Peggy

Peggy the photos are great - do they make you feel sad?

Thanks for the thought Chill, no they don't make me feel sad, they are like looking back at a 'family photo album' of happy memories. I do miss 'those' children but they are all growing up now and most are at big school so I would have 'lost' them anyway, even if I hadn't closed the preschool.

On reflection I feel quite proud that I left when I did, my principles were gradually being eroded by the 'system' that is early years today, so principles intact, happy memories remain. :oxD

And I still have fantastic opportunities to revisit my memories through this forum, and lovely friends like you who ask such thoughtful questions, THANKS. :(

Peggy

Oh Peggy your ideas are so simple yet so inspirational. Things that I would never think of in a million years!! I think I'm going through a bit of a stale patch at the moment, definitely need the half term break.

Think I will incorporate some of these ideas into our planning for next term as they look so much fun!

I love the life size models Peggy. At my sons primary school they had an artist come in and the children all did a life size model of themsleves on cardboard and she then copied them on to the playground wall. They made a lovely site - it is still there now and my son is nearly 18 must have been when he was in year 5 or 6. I must remeber to have a look and take a photo next open day. I think I will store the idea for September.

smiles

Thanks Shelley & Smiles, that's whats great about the forum, many many inspirational ideas from many members, keeps me inspired even though I don't have a preschool now :o My children enjoy all the many ideas though. xD

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)