Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Curriculum Resources For Yr1

I have a very small budget to resource my yr1 classroom next year. I know what I would want in an FS room but what do the children need in yr1. Ideally it might replicate FS but money is not that good so what should I buy?

Hello, I have been part of a project over the past few years re transition into year 1. Long story but it's all about making sure year one children have an appropriate curriculum. We have looked at resourcing- it has been interesting to note that small world stuff has been a popular resource for the year ones. They seem to have moved away from roleplay and instead use small world toys such as playmobile, lego, animals etc in more depth. We also have concluded that construction is popular but needs to be a bit more technical. Mine by the way are really into knex creatures and vehicles.

My class is a mixed R/1 and is set up in areas of learning, we always have sand, water, playdough, construction, computers, reading area, small world area and an investigation area etc. Our writing area is always well stocked with a range of writing resources- gel pens, stampers etc and that too is popular.

Interestingly, the early excellence centre has produced some resources for year ones, mainly small world like pirates, fairytales, animals etc and these have been popuar - they are in my opinion expensive though ( they were bought as part of the project).

Is that any help?

Interestingly, the early excellence centre has produced some resources for year ones, mainly small world like pirates, fairytales, animals etc and these have been popuar - they are in my opinion expensive though ( they were bought as part of the project).

We have been bought the pirate stuff from EEC through a boys literacy project.We don't intend using it as we feel unsuitable for 3/4yrs.The figures are stationary action figures and boring.For small world in year 1 I would recommend playmobil.It is expensive but play value is enormous.Good old fashioned lego is also popular.Year 1 seem to move more towards 'detail'.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)