Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Point 9?

Guest heleng

Guest heleng

Can anyone clarify this for me please. Can children score point 9 on any of the scales without scoring all of the previous 8? I was under the impression that 9 meant they had achieved all of the ELG's (1-8) and then some to get level 9. However I have taken over from an experienced practitioner who has now retired and in the assessment info she has passed on she has awarded some of them point 9 without all of the 1-8's being completed.

When you input onto the eprofile (if used) it throws up an error message if you have done this as you can't award them 9 unless they complete all the previous 8 points.

I would be very cautious about awarding a nine for some areas of learning to a child in Reception unless they were solid. A lot of year 6 children would find it hard to achieve in a nine in some aspects!!!!

I have copied a piece from this website. Question 6 has the answer.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/f..._stage/1145599/

Q6: What is a good level of attainment at the end of the Foundation Stage?

A6:

All six areas of the Foundation Stage are equally important and all are interdependent. For instance, a child cannot learn to read (Communication, language and literacy scale 6) without the appropriate attitudes and dispositions (Personal, social and emotional development scale 1) and will also need to link sounds and letters (Communication, language and literacy scale 5). Learning to write (Communication, language and literacy scale 7) is dependent on developing fine motor skills (Personal, social and emotional development scale 12) and is also closely linked to attitudes and dispositions (Personal, social and emotional development scale 1), linking sounds and letters (Communication, language and literacy scale 5) and learning to read (Communication, language and literacy scale 6). Consideration will need to be given to the stepping stones that lead towards particular early learning goals, not just in one area of learning but across all of them if this is considered relevant by the practitioner.

Each scale of the Foundation Stage Profile consists of nine statements or items.

The first three reflect the stepping stones described within the context of the final year of the Foundation Stage.

Items 4 to 8 are the early learning goals which most children are expected to achieve by the end of the Foundation Stage. Points 4 to 8 of the Foundation Stage Profile across all scales have equal value and can be achieved in any order. These five scale points (4-8) are the early learning goals, reordered and occasionally edited for the purposes of assessment.

Item 9 describes achievement significantly beyond what is expected during the Foundation Stage. It has the level of challenge found in aspects of level 1 and sometimes aspects of level 2b of the National Curriculum.

Items 1-3 (based on the stepping stones) are likely to be achieved first, 4-8 can be achieved in any order. Item 9 can only be achieved once all other 8 items have been achieved.

• 1 month later...

You are right and she was wrong basically. A child cannot achieve a 9 if they have not got 1-8 in any of the sections.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)