Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just A Perfect Day

luluj

What a perfect day! Our little village school has been celebrating our connection with the writer Alison Uttley,author of the Little Grey Rabbit and Sam Pig stories,who was once a pupil here. The Reception and Year 1 children baked bread and made butter for ham sandwiches and we set off to find the special stone 'armchair' that she sat on to eat her lunch behind the school. We climbed up the bank between the bluebells and past the badger set with the schoolhouse cat following us and sat in the sunshine. All we could hear were the birds... And of course an Alison Uttley story to finish off our exciting quest. It's one of those wonderful times I will always remember. And yes we all learned an awful lot! luluj

Guest Wolfie

Fantastic! My Mum was a big Alison Uttley fan and so I remember...and still have...all the Sam Pig stories! I would have loved to have joined you today! Whereabouts are you?

Didn't she write a wonderful book called Moonshine and Magic too?

Edited by Wolfie

luluj, I don't know the author ( but will now look her up).

Sounds like an idylic summer sunshine day, in a way I'm a bit sad that you felt you had to ( or chose to) say "and yes we learned a lot" , ho hum, even if you didn't learn anything, ( which I think is impossible) the day was still magical and memorable.

I guess you were all 'just being' which is as valuable in my eyes as any 'learning' experience. It is a shame we feel we have to justify anything we do by adding the fact that "learning took place".

I'm not getting at you for saying that, it is the society / system we live in these days that makes us feel that we have to justify even the 'simple things in life, which to me are very precious (and real) with an adage that learning took place.

Even if you didn't take photo's, I think it is lovely that you enabled the children to experience such a lovely day that will remain, I am sure, in thier memories for a lifetime.

Thanks for sharing, you've reminded me of some lovely memories of my childhood experiencing nature, nice weather and the true sense of freedom of 'just being'

Peggy

Thanks for sharing. Wolfie that is wonderful thta you have so many memories of Sam Pig. Looked up the title Monnshine and Magic and it seems it's a collection of short stories but have never read it. We are a village school near Matlock in Derbyshire. Peggy I did indeed feel I had to justify the day to myself with that final sentence. There always seems to be the expectation that everything has to be justified with some kind of evidence these days. As you say it was a magical day and if that remains in a memory somewhere that's enough for me. Thank you for your comment and I do hope that you may meet Sam or Little Grey Rabbit one day. luluj

Guest Wolfie

I'm going to have to get hold of Moonshine and Magic again now, just to remind me of the stories...I'm the youngest of five and have no idea which one of my siblings has the original copy! Let's hope Amazon comes up trumps! :o

....Okay, maybe I'll have to hunt my family copy down...Amazon are selling the book for over £1000!!!!!!! One second hand copy on line through Oxfam and that's £300!! Obviously a very rare book these days!

Edited by Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

I can see it's going to have to be "casually" slipped into the conversation...but I only want to BORROW it, not keep it for ever! :o