Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Games

I am a student and I have just realised that I was supposed to make a gsame to play with the children!!!!!! We heve had a bad year, with teachers leaving and coursework etc, Any ideas of a game sutible for children in the foundation stage(end of reception year!) which isn't going to cost a fourtune to buy the materials to make? i AM STUCK FOR IDEAS AND HAVE JUST SPENT AGES SCOURING THE CITY center for magnets, I was going to make fishing game, I want to do something ehich involes number recognition

You've probably thought of this but what about number bingo... so easy to make and very cheap. Make a 3x3 grid (or your own choosing) on a piece of bright A4 card then write numbers in each box (ot do it on a PC in word) either 0-10 or 11-20. Obvioulsy you will need to ensure that they are not all the same! Make the flashcards to go with it, laminate if possible and hey presto.

My kids love it as they can be the 'Teacher' . We've made loads of bingo cards on this theme, solid and flat shapes, tens numbers etc. We've even made phonic and keyword ones and they never seem to tire of it.

When one of them wins they stand up and shout 'Top Banana!'

p.s you can differentiate by putting sticky spots on each number for the lower ability if they don't know the number name or write the number names on the cards for the higher ability.

Hope this helps :)

How about putting a number of little things in different-sized boxes (little dinosaurs, insects, etc) and getting the children to guess how many are inside. Each child picks up a numeral to match the number they have guessed, then, when everyone has made a guess, have the count! A member of my staff played a trick on the children by putting boxes inside boxes to add to the confusion, and the children loved it!

Or, make a big die (if you haven't got one), and draw some pictures/write the words/get clipart for a number of actions, (putting these on little cards)....clap hands, jump etc. Each child turns over a card picture, then throws the die and everyone performs the actions that number of times.

Does this make any sense? I've just realised it's quite hard to explain even a simple game! :o

Isn't it just Helen! (hard to explain a game I mean!) I tried earlier but deleted it as it read like I don't know what!! :o

Rest assured yours makes perfect sense! I have my pile of action pictures that I have made and laminated. Child turns one over, rolls the die and everyone does what ever the picture dictates, the number of times indicated by the die. ( I think :D:D )

We have a lovely game which costs nothing if you have a sand tray and small pieces of equipment. Bury up to 20 items, with the number on the bottom, in the sand and ask the children to find them counting and recognising as they go. Simple! Differentiate the number of items for age and ability.

Linda

oops just lost my lovely long post, I think, so trying again!

What lovely ideas everyone! :D I can almost feel a making session coming on!

My contribution although probably not needed is along the bingo theme. You could have pictures of objects to match with the correct numeral. Either could be on the base board or even a mix of both.

I have made a set of A5 cards of pictures 1-10, in different patterns to aid spatial awareness, which I flash ot the children. they then hold up the appropriate numeral, preferably without calling out the number they counted.

I actually use number fans, which are a skill in themselves to operate, but you could use number lines or grids or individual sets of numbers.

Children could also show their fingers?

Depending on the time of year ie how long they have been in school and their ability you can flash the cards for different times.

you could use numbers over 10 by displaying in a tens and unit type format. Perhaps you would only want the children to tell you the number to start with?

Good luck & have fun making and playing! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)