Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sick Pay

Hi

No doctors note needed. Unfortunately no sick pay. If someone is off work for a while I would carry out a back to work interview only to make sure they had everything they needed to do the job safely.

No sick pay here either.

I only pay for days that staff attend. If they are off then they don't get paid. Don't have enough money in the pot for that. :o

We get sick pay, self certificate for first 3 days, doctors note there after. We also have up to 6 paid days (per accademic year) if our children are off sick!!

Didn't realise how lucky I am!!

everyone is entitled to statutory sick pay if they are eligable by NI contirbutions... usually if you pay NI you are eligable.. it may not be much but they setting can recover a lot of it. This is even for part time workers.... Most of our staff are eligable.

you or your employer can check if eligable on line SSP calculator

You have to give a doctors certificate after 7 days, before that self certify, but employers can have their own rules about this.

No payment at all for the few days for SSP and most times people are off for less than that.

Rest is up to employer, back to work interviews etc can be a good idea depending on amop8nt of time off and reason

Inge

thanks for all your replies.

i think we have been far too generous and the member of staff in question is taking the mickey! our contracts state that statutory sick pay rules apply but no-one o the committee or me as the pre-school leader knew that we don't have to pay for periods of absence of up to three days and then we can claim back the SSP after that.

i haven't had a single day off in 20 months so it galls me that someone is taking odd days or two days off once a month, especially as we are only open in term time. We have very little money, like most other sessional pre-schools, so we can't afford to be generous with things like this.

Ok, moan over, thanks again,

Ax

Glad to be of help... just get whoever does the pay check every time she is off using the SSP calculator. Anything less than 3 days and no pay... trouble is she may make sick days last longer now!! But with no pay and then only a minumum pay it can work wonders for those less dedicated individuals.. even using the calculator pay rates are very low, just make sure this is the amount you pay and no more.

Must admit to me being the only one in our setting off sick .. and in each time has been more than 2 months... Much improved now pleased to say..

Inge

Edited by Inge

glad your health has improved and thanks again for the advice. have just spoken to chair of committee and he is very keen to back me up on sorting this out; hooray, some support at last!

Ax