Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds Assessments

Hi all, although I'm a reception teacher I thought I would post this here as its more of a query for our year 1s and 2s really. How are you assessing the letters and sounds words? At my school in the past we had to assess the old high frequency words, for both reading and spelling, 3 times a year. Now with letters and sounds the teachers are attempting to assess all of the words in the lists which of course is taking much longer, as they are doing the phonetic and the tricky words... just wondered if anyone would be able to share what they are doing with the assessment, is it something that comes out of the work you are doing anyway, or do you do more of a "test", and which words do you do? Thanks in anticipation!

I have made assessment sheets for phase 2 and 3.

The children are asked to read the sounds, blend letters to make a word and segment words.

In the past we have got the children to spell the high frequency words.... but then they were always re tested at the beginning of year 1.... so i felt it was a waste of time doing it in Reception.

So we do a phoneme check, capital letter check and then phase 2 and 3 assessment if appropriate. I feel this is plenty.... especially as we are not ment to test children in reception.... and its one thing to spell the words on their own but another to use them correctly in your writing.

Attached are my assess sheets for phase 2 and 3... the font will not be correct as I use the montessoriscript.

Phase_2_assessment.doc

Phase_3_assessment.doc

That's great, thanks Lorna! Thats very similar to what we're doing in reception. Do your year 1s and 2s do something similar? In reception we're quite happy with what we are doing, but I know that the year 1 and 2 teachers at my school were finding that they were doing loads of assessment and I said I knew of a great forum where I could ask others!

I try and tick these off when doing phonic activities with the children rather than testing them..... but still end up taking them out. Its what our Year1/2 want. I would rather not do it as it is so against early years practice.

Our Year1/2 also do a lot of recording, weekly spellings etc...

L

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)